Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tart Cherry Concentrate as Bottle Conditioner  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Thomas

• 1st Kit
Tart Cherry Concentrate as Bottle Conditioner
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »
Hey all. I am bottling a mixed fermentation dark sour tomorrow. I would like to add some Tart Cherry Concentrate to a portion of it. Any idea how to calculate the how much carbonation I will get from the sugars in this product? Not sure what type of sugar is in a fruit concentrate. I use the NB priming calculator, nothing resembling fruit juice on there. The bottle just lists 14g of sugars in 30ml/2tbsp. Yes I know I could ferment it out and then bottle normally so no need to give me that answer. Its a sour so a wide range of carb would be acceptable to me, just want to end up in the right ballpark, i.e. it should be fizzy and not explode. Thanks!

Thom

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Re: Tart Cherry Concentrate as Bottle Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:11:04 pm »
if there are 14 grams in 30 ml then you can use that as corn sugar in the calculator. 
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline Thomas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »
I found a little bit of vague info on the sugars in tart cherry. It appears that they are mostly glucose and fructose. So it seems to me I should use the Maple Syrup or Honey options on the calculator.

Thom

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:27:04 pm »
I found a little bit of vague info on the sugars in tart cherry. It appears that they are mostly glucose and fructose. So it seems to me I should use the Maple Syrup or Honey options on the calculator.

Thom
Glucose + fructose is sucrose, i.e. table sugar/cane sugar.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:28:43 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »
Let us know how it goes. 

We used to use juice and other fruits to condition firkins.  Using the calculator we assumed that we needed X grams of sugar and just figured out how many mls we needed to achieve X grams of sugar.

Fermentation at Elevation