Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest!  (Read 21915 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Oktoberfest!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 06:05:33 am »
Ron and I have been trying to replicate that elusive "taste" or flavor profile for a few years.  I have found (advice from Kai) that splitting the IBUs bewtween bittering and flavor 50/50 gets you close.  Proper aging (not necessarily at low lager temps but at cellar/serving temps) may bring out this character as well. 

I am trying sort of a 50/50 split as you'll see on this next batch while keeping my water somewhat nuetral (Poland Spring).

I think aging at cellar temp is an interesting idea.  Might have to try that sometime.  I'm doing a diacetyl rest on my festbier at the moment.
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:06 am »
What are our thoughts on using caramel malts in festbiers?  I haven't personally used them in my Oktoberfest recipes, but I've tasted plenty of examples (mostly American) that have a caramel presence (Left Hand's comes to mind).
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 07:59:05 am »
What are our thoughts on using caramel malts in festbiers?  I haven't personally used them in my Oktoberfest recipes, but I've tasted plenty of examples (mostly American) that have a caramel presence (Left Hand's comes to mind).

I stay away from them - while I do enjoy it occasionally, Sam Adams Fest can really become too caramelly and sweet for me, and I guess I assume thats the use of crystal malts.  That said, Left Hand Fest which you mention is usually one of my favorites, though last year was a bit disappointing.

I did use a very small amount of Carabrown this year, which I believe isn't a caramel malt at all  ;)

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 08:16:37 am »

I stay away from them - while I do enjoy it occasionally, Sam Adams Fest can really become too caramelly and sweet for me, and I guess I assume thats the use of crystal malts.  That said, Left Hand Fest which you mention is usually one of my favorites, though last year was a bit disappointing.

I did use a very small amount of Carabrown this year, which I believe isn't a caramel malt at all  ;)

As per the style guideline noticeable caramel malt flavor is undesirable. I prefer the complex maltiness of Vienna/Munich/Pils with a slight hint of toastiness which can be acheived with the use of a very small addition of medium-dark caramunich or carafa. I believe caramel malt used in the right proportion can make for a nice fest beer but there is a fine line that if exceeded won't meet the established guidelines.

Flavor: Initial malty sweetness, but finish is moderately dry.  Distinctive and complex maltiness often includes a toasted aspect.  Hop bitterness is moderate, and noble hop flavor is low to none. Balance is toward malt, though the finish is not sweet.  Noticeable caramel or roasted flavors are inappropriate.  Clean lager character with no diacetyl or fruity esters.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 11:01:29 am »
I want to visit the Spaten-Franziskaner-Braeu factory among others someday.  I don't know if they do brewery tours but that would be fascinating.

Ayinger Brewery

Paulaner Hacker-Pschorr Brewery

Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 08:09:44 pm »
Here is my latest creation.  With this version I am pushing the flavor and aroma hops eventhough the style really doesn't focus on them,  I have found through tastings that there is some hop flavor and aroma in Commercial German examples.  My hope is to replicate that condition in this recipe.

Spangler Oktoberfest #3
Oktoberfest/Marzen

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/26/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 40.91 %
3.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 31.82 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.30 lb Caramunich Malt 1 (43.0 SRM) Grain 2.73 %
0.12 lb Caramunich Malt 2 (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.09 %
0.08 lb Caramunich Malt 3 (120.0 SRM) Grain 0.73 %
0.60 oz Magnum [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Spalter [4.10 %] (10 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [3.90 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
0.50 oz Spalter [4.10 %] (0 min) Hops - 
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [Starter 6000 ml] Yeast-Lager 

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 %
Bitterness: 28.5 IBU
Est Color: 9.5 SRM 

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 164.3 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 16.00 qt of water at 187.4 F 168.0 F 

Notes

1. Prepared 6L Yeast Starter from WLP830 - pitched @ 46F and fermented at 50F 
Created with BeerSmith

I plan to keep on the yeast until it bottoms out and then transfer into the keg for 6 weeks of lagering.

Ron Price

Offline witsok

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »
Here is the recipe I'm planning to brew to celebrate my anniversary.  Since it is in October, I call it Novemberfest - beer, pork, beef, turkey, side dishes and desserts prepared from the recent harvest, and plenty of friend and neighbors.

The recipe was based on Fix's Traditional Oktoberfest, Jamil's Munich Madness, and tips from Desgining Great Beers.

5.8 gallons
4.6 lbs Rahr Premium Pilsner
3.7 lbs Weyermann Munich
2.8 lbs Weyernann Vienna
5 oz Belgian CaraVienna
5 oz Belgian CaraMunich
5 oz Weyerman CaraMunich III

Mash at 153F for 45 minutes

0.5 oz Perle (whole) 8.2%AA 45 minutes
1.1 oz Sterling (whole) 5.5%AA 30 minutes
0.8 oz Hallertauer (whole) 3.9%AA 15 minutes

Wyeast 2487 Hella-Bock
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:07:03 pm by witsok »

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:34 pm »
witsok - so where's the invitation???  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline witsok

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 05:06:26 pm »
Usually send invites at the last minute.  Maybe end of September or early October?  TT? ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:07:57 pm by witsok »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 09:12:17 am »
Usually send invites at the last minute.  Maybe end of September or early October?  TT? ;)

Let us know how the recipe turns out.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 08:12:44 pm »
When will Oktoberfest 2010 take place?

5 days and counting.

On Saturday, September 18th, the Schottenhamel tent is the place to be, if you want to catch the official opening ceremonies.

Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 06:55:48 am »
Prosit everyone!  2010 marks the 200th Anniversary of Oktoberfest.  We're having an Oktoberfest party at our house today.  Making soft pretzels, having beer brats, and serving plenty of homebrewed Oktoberfest.  What are you doing to celebrate?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 06:59:35 am »
I'm going to bottle my Oktoberfest today.  I'm a little behind schedule...
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 07:47:12 am »
I'm moving my lagered keg of ofest into the serving position in the beer fridge.  I need to force carbonate, it should be ready for next weekend.  I'll let you know how it turned out.  I had brats on the grill with lentils and pretzels last night, all served with a Kolsch.  It would have been better with the ofest but it was still great.

I love this time of year!  The fall weather is the best IMO.  Plus it's harvest time.   8)
Ron Price

Offline kiko

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »
Some interesting facts.

The 16-day party attracts over 6 million people every year who consume 1.5 million gallons of beer, 200,000 pairs of pork sausage, and 480,000 spit-roasted chickens during the two-week extravaganza.

The Oktoberfest tradition started in 1810 to celebrate the October 12th marriage of Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig to the Saxon-Hildburghausen Princess Therese. The citizens of Munich were invited to join in the festivities which were held over five days on the fields in front of the city gates. The main event of the original Oktoberfest was a horse race.

Just 6 Munich breweries - Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbräu, Löwenbräu, Paulaner, and Spaten - are permitted to serve beer at the festival. Beer is served by the Maß, a one-liter mug, and costs about 8 euros. Beer maids and waiters must be able to carry 10 of these beer-filled mugs at a time.

only 8 but I'm okay with that

Visitors consume large quantities of food, most of which consists of traditional hearty fare. Readily available all over the fairgrounds are Hendl, whole chickens grilled on a spit and typically sold in halves. Variations are the spit-roasted duck or goose. Roasted meats, especially pork, and potato dumplings are served up with the traditional red cabbage and apple dish (Blaukohl). Local specialties such as roasted ox tails, grilled pork knuckles, or Bavarian Weißwürste, steamed white veal sausages served with sweet mustard, sauerkraut, and a pretzel or bread roll are found on just about every menu. Visitors hankering for some seafood might try the charcoal-fired fish-on-a-stick (Steckerlfisch).

Oktoberfest is known as much for its traditional folk music as it is for its beer drinking. Popular and folk music, marches, and polkas make up the oompah music Germany is stereotypically famous for around the world. As the evening wears on, the music becomes louder and more and more people begin to sing, linking arms and swinging beer mugs from side to side, some standing and swaying and dancing on benches or tables. Before each break, the band will offer up "ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit", a toast to contentment, congeniality, and relaxation.

Prost!

Fun Episode of Three Sheets @ Oktoberfest:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12846/three-sheets-munich#x-0,vepisode,1,0