Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The approaching darkness  (Read 9385 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: The approaching darkness
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 09:40:27 am »
  I-80 across Nebraska has to be about the most God-awful, brutally boring drives I've ever endured, but you have a pot of gold [sort of] at the end of the road.
   The paper last night was calling for 35% chance of clouds Monday A.M., but said almost all of Oregon and extreme western Idaho should be cloudless. Guess Denny picked the perfect location.
   I also saw that the tribe is allowing access to Boysen Peak for the eclipse, for a fee of course. If I can talk my visitors into it, I can think of no other place in the area from which to experience the event, one of the best views in the state, but normally off limits to non tribal members.
Boring? The stretch of US 77 through the King Ranch, Western TX near Lubbock, AND the Seney Strech in the UP. I can't leave out I55 from southern MO to Memphis.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 09:55:23 am »
I am starting my drive today. The traffic is in the back of my mind, but I think going across the plains on I-80 may not be too bad, as we won't hit the main flow going to Wyoming.

On the other hand, central Oregon already has heavy traffic according to the news. Lots of population centers in OR, WA, and CA all heading that way. Denny has been a little quiet. Denny, any reports?

There may be high clouds in Wyoming on Monday. Bummer.

Just found out that a ouple that used to be in the club, before a job move, will be in Cheyenne and will meet our group for dinner. Not a bummer.

Prineville, east of where I'm going, is having one ot the largest gathering in the country (damn hippies) and there are reports of lines of traffic 30 miles long.  It's supposed to ease up a bit by tomorrow.  Madras, where I'm heading, is experiencing sporadic gas shortages, but apparently have frequent deliveries scheduled.  Who knows what will develop in the next couple days.  Weather forecast is spectacular.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09:00 am »
I am starting my drive today. The traffic is in the back of my mind, but I think going across the plains on I-80 may not be too bad, as we won't hit the main flow going to Wyoming.

On the other hand, central Oregon already has heavy traffic according to the news. Lots of population centers in OR, WA, and CA all heading that way. Denny has been a little quiet. Denny, any reports?

Just found out that a ouple that used to be in the club, before a job move, will be in Cheyenne and will meet our group for dinner. Not a bummer.

Prineville, east of where I'm going, is having one ot the largest gathering in the country (damn hippies) and there are reports of lines of traffic 30 miles long.  It's supposed to ease up a bit by tomorrow.  Madras, where I'm heading, is experiencing sporadic gas shortages, but apparently have frequent deliveries scheduled.  Who knows what will develop in the next couple days.  Weather forecast is spectacular.

You have the weather going for you! There were some shots of the traffic when I did a web search. Enjoy the show, take it all in.

That and gas is my concern over the next few days.

If we have clouds, oh well. It was cloudy in Germany, then the clouds went away right before the show. Maybe we will luck out, maybe not.

I told Susan that I am approaching this as an adventure. If it has hiccups, it will all be part of the adventure.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:10:35 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:20 am »

You have the weather going for you! There were some shots of the traffic when I did a web search. Enjoy the show, take it all in.

That and gas is my concern over the next few days.

If we have clouds, oh well. It was cloudy in Germany, then the clouds went away right before the show. Maybe we will luck out, maybe not.

I told Susan that I am approaching this as an adventure. If it has hiccups, it will all be part of the adventure.

One of the reasons we chose Mecca Grade (besides catered meals, live music and free beer and whiskey!) was that it has the best chance in the country of having clear weather.  Since we're driving over in an RV, I know we'll have plenty of gas to get there and if we get held up by traffic at least we have amenities!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 05:01:09 pm »
   It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.
   I didn't say the I-80 through NE was the most boring stretch of road in the world Jeff, just the worst that I've traveled. To be fair, the last time I drove it the speed limit was still 55, and all drives were more time consuming. Heaven forbid we are ever forced to return to those dark ages again.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »
  I-80 across Nebraska has to be about the most God-awful, brutally boring drives I've ever endured, but you have a pot of gold [sort of] at the end of the road.
   The paper last night was calling for 35% chance of clouds Monday A.M., but said almost all of Oregon and extreme western Idaho should be cloudless. Guess Denny picked the perfect location.
   I also saw that the tribe is allowing access to Boysen Peak for the eclipse, for a fee of course. If I can talk my visitors into it, I can think of no other place in the area from which to experience the event, one of the best views in the state, but normally off limits to non tribal members.
Boring? The stretch of US 77 through the King Ranch, Western TX near Lubbock, AND the Seney Strech in the UP. I can't leave out I55 from southern MO to Memphis.
95 through both Carolinas and Georgia is a long stretch of nothing. I'll never do it again

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 02:30:52 pm »
70 across Kansas and eastern Colorado is pretty unchanging except KC and Topeka. Miles of nothing

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 03:51:48 pm »
   It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.
   I didn't say the I-80 through NE was the most boring stretch of road in the world Jeff, just the worst that I've traveled. To be fair, the last time I drove it the speed limit was still 55, and all drives were more time consuming. Heaven forbid we are ever forced to return to those dark ages again.

I sang that in Germany, and got "Stop it!"

There are many boring roads, list some of mine. I remember those 55 MPH days all to well.

Traffic was not too bad today. The Truck traffic was high, as I think they are off the road for a few days in some states.

In Omaha, thinking of Uber/ Lyft to some places not far from the hotel
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 06:28:29 pm »
   I-80 and truck traffic are synonymous, it's the railroad that runs on rubber.
   We took a short road trip today, traffic was a lot heavier than normal, but not epic. I'd really hate to be one of the poor sods heading north out of CO tomorrow or Monday. The latest forecast hear is no significant clouds until noon Monday, after totality, I hope the weather prognosticators are more accurate than is their norm.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »
   I-80 and truck traffic are synonymous, it's the railroad that runs on rubber.
   We took a short road trip today, traffic was a lot heavier than normal, but not epic. I'd really hate to be one of the poor sods heading north out of CO tomorrow or Monday. The latest forecast hear is no significant clouds until noon Monday, after totality, I hope the weather prognosticators are more accurate than is their norm.
Our friends that live in CO are staying in Laramie tonight. Good planning.

That weather report made me smile!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 06:55:59 am »
I found a Google map with expected traffic in certain areas. Our plan is a backroad path to a small town situated very close to the center of totality. I just have a difficult time believing the route I chose will back up with traffic until I get almost to the edge of the total eclipse area and it all works out we would be there a few hours early.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:56 am »
95 through both Carolinas and Georgia is a long stretch of nothing. I'll never do it again

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah, 95 does cut through the middle of nowhere.  Most often when I was driving that route I was headed down to Orlando Florida. 

I-80 through Nebraska reminds me of then I moved cross country from NC to OR.  The most memorable part of that drive was that I got awesome gas mileage.  I think I got like 425 miles on a tank.  Straight and flat, hit the cruise control and just fly.  Of course I gave up that gas mileage when I hit the Wyoming mountains and only got 250 miles on a tank, but it averaged out to what was "normal" for my car.  The only change of scenery in Nebraska was you'd have corn on the left and sunflowers on the right and every couple hundred miles they'd switch sides.  That was it. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 11:20:37 am »

arranged a quick flight Friday to judge/drink at Beer&Sweat
It was good to meet you at Beer & Sweat - there were a lot of really fantastic beers and brewers there. Glad you liked my Kölsch!  Safe travels!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:06 am »
   That was way cool. Definitely the shortest 2 1/2 minutes of my life though - didn't even have time to finish my beer [brewed special for the event of course].

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »
Pretty cool I guess. Glad I didn't go out of my way for it although it wasn't quite a full eclipse here. Pretty close.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale