Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The approaching darkness  (Read 9386 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: The approaching darkness
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 04:18:58 pm »
A partial eclipse is like sex without an orgasm.

That may be crass, but that sums it up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 06:32:37 pm »
Either make it into the zone or don't bother.

100% THIS^^^^
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:09 am »
   I'm glad we decided to watch it all from the back yard. We started drinking homebrews about half an hour before totality and didn't quit until well after dark. According to the local rag, the highway out of town was bumper to bumper both directions, and I guess it only got worse when people made it to the interstate. The population of the county more than doubled over the event. We saw more than a dozen private planes fly in just before the eclipse, most flew back out with a couple hours.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2017, 01:06:17 pm »

Totality in 2024 will be about 3 hours north of me, so I may try to make it.  Early April may be tough since there will still be considerable snow on the ground up there and the weather this time of the year isn't the best.  It will also be my son's projected last year of college, so who knows if I'll even have gas money to spare to drive up.

My son will be in 8th Grade, and I will gladly pull him out of school for this. I need to check if the Balsams are booking rooms for 2024 yet..
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »
My wife and I drove down to West Yellowstone the day before and got a hotel room.....for $350!  Yikes!

But it was well worth it.  We headed west on U.S. 20 aiming for Ashton, Idaho.  Shortly outside of Island Park, we hit terrible traffic.  With her phone, the wife found a gravel road that we turned off on, and drove for 25 miles.  That in itself was pretty cool.  I was glad I took the pickup and not the car.

Yes, I agree that it isn't worth bothering unless its total.

One note of interest, though. One of my friends who stayed home went fishing during the eclipse.  He said the trout bit like crazy during it, he hooked 5 nice ones.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2017, 04:00:43 pm »
we hit terrible traffic.  With her phone, the wife found a gravel road that we turned off on, and drove for 25 miles.  That in itself was pretty cool.  I was glad I took the pickup and not the car.

Just don't do that in the winter. Blindly following GPS is how folks die out in the mountains (and the desert).

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge