Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using more water in the mash tun and less in the HLT  (Read 1786 times)

Offline TBISSINGER

• 1st Kit
Using more water in the mash tun and less in the HLT
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:16:20 am »
So a problem I have run into with my mash tun is that with my lighter recipes (<10lbs grain bills) the calculated water level from beer smith for my mash doesn't cover the thermometer very well if at all.  Would I be hurting my beer at all to put extra water into the mash and then less in the HLT to fly sparge?  In my head this seems OK and in my poking around on the internet and books I haven't seen anything to say otherwise.

My current mash tun is a 10 gal megapot 1.2 for reference.

Thanks in advance!

If there is already a thread speaking to this that I couldn't find please direct me there if possible!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Using more water in the mash tun and less in the HLT
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:01 am »
Not at all, as long as you account for any pH change from the additional water.  My efficiency actually went up a bit when I went to a thinner mash.  You could also consider going to no sparge in that situation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TBISSINGER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:52:07 am »
PH is something that I haven't been measuring yet, though I do need to start.  I never even considered doing a no sparge.  Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:06:02 pm »
PH is something that I haven't been measuring yet, though I do need to start.  I never even considered doing a no sparge.  Thanks!

Keep in mind that the more water you use, the less the grain itself will be able to buffer pH.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell