Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cocoa Nibs vs Cocoa Powder  (Read 7977 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cocoa Nibs vs Cocoa Powder
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 02:42:39 pm »
Is there a recommended usage with this product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told to use the same amount by weight, as you would with nibs or powder. I'm still new to this product, but once I keg my double chocolate oatmeal stout I'll get back with an update on how it turned out using the same by weight as nibs or powder.

Not necessarily.  I had a conversation with the guy who makes it at HBC since we were sharing a booth.  Basically, since it's aspetically packaged you can add it to taste and not have to guess at the amount.  He sid a half to whole bottle is the ballpark, but recommended tasting as you add.  Or you can just add it per glass.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:30 pm »
Does this product have oil/fat in it?

And who sells it online?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 06:53:13 pm »

And who sells it online?
https://www.amazon.com/Cholaca-Raw-32-Ounces/dp/B013U5LVEK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 09:00:25 am »

And who sells it online?

Brewcraft wholesales it so any shop that buys from them can get it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »
Not to be a turd, but it's CACAO nibs, not COCOA.  Pronounced like a large artillery gun going off.  Ca-COW!! 

Back on topic, I've used the cacao nibs in secondary and they were ok, but I would agree with others that it provides more mouthfeel and some aroma, with little flavor contribution.  Recently I brewed Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, and that recipe called for an 8 oz addition of cocoa powder at flameout.  I got a lot more chocolate character from that than I ever have with nibs. 

Offline secondbase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 10:34:10 pm »
Yeah, it's cacao like in the Portlandia skit.

I have only ever used nibs in secondary but I plan on making a few chocolate beers this fall/winter using powder and a mixture of nibs/powder to see if I can get the chocolate flavor in looking for.

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 11:58:46 am »
I've used coco powder at the end of the boil for years with good results. Have you tried chocolate extract. Yes, add it to secondary or even before bottling. A little bit goes a long way.
Good Brewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 10:20:24 am »
Not to be a turd, but it's CACAO nibs, not COCOA.  Pronounced like a large artillery gun going off.  Ca-COW!! 

Back on topic, I've used the cacao nibs in secondary and they were ok, but I would agree with others that it provides more mouthfeel and some aroma, with little flavor contribution.  Recently I brewed Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, and that recipe called for an 8 oz addition of cocoa powder at flameout.  I got a lot more chocolate character from that than I ever have with nibs.

Does processing cacao result in flipping the vowels?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:06 pm »
From memory of a trip to Hershey PA, yes, the names change occurs once processed but I think that is an oversimplified explanation.

I'd use chocolate extract at packaging instead of either nibs or powder.  https://www.olivenation.com/chocolate-extract.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOCAgKTX1QIVB6ZpCh0KEQZCEAQYAyABEgL_O_D_BwE
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »
I use a whole bakers bar of chocolate in my stout.  I think it's 8 oz, but it's whatever standard size you can get at the grocery store.  I add it to the boil and get noticeable chocolate flavor in the stout.  No issues with head retention or oils over many years.  It can be a pain to get it to melt and you need to be sure not to scorch it, but the bakers bar works fine for me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 02:20:46 pm »
I use a whole bakers bar of chocolate in my stout.  I think it's 8 oz, but it's whatever standard size you can get at the grocery store.  I add it to the boil and get noticeable chocolate flavor in the stout.  No issues with head retention or oils over many years.  It can be a pain to get it to melt and you need to be sure not to scorch it, but the bakers bar works fine for me.

Do you throw it in whole or chop/blend/grate first?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:01 pm »
I usually just break it into chunks.  I try to add in the last 15 minutes.  It needs at least that long to get adequately dissolved.  My theory is that even if it's sort of syrupy when it hits the fermenter, the yeast will still eat it.

I use it in an imperial stout, so there are a lot of big flavors (roast, hops, etc.).  In a smaller beer, maybe the whole bar would be too much?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 10:08:38 pm »

Does processing cacao result in flipping the vowels?

While I was writing that post, I realized the irony in using both forms, so I did a little searching to make sure that "cocoa powder" was correct.  Yes, something in the processing step does change the name from cacao to cocoa.  Strange, huh?  I try not to correct grammar, but as a teacher and former state spelling bee competitor, I notice those things!   ;)