Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager brew.  (Read 3883 times)

The Beerery

Re: First lager brew.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 07:10:04 am »
Is a 90 minute boil absolutely necessary for pilsner malt?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

With the fervor at which us homebrewrs boil, this is not a thing. DMS is also a pH thing, the higher the pH the faster the removal. I am able to reliably produce dms with a low pH (5.2 at mash and  start of boil), a low boil off% (sub 6%) and a 60 minute boil. So it can be a thing, just a FYI, and its horrible.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 07:37:52 am »

With the fervor at which us homebrewrs boil, this is not a thing. DMS is also a pH thing, the higher the pH the faster the removal. I am able to reliably produce dms with a low pH (5.2 at mash and  start of boil), a low boil off% (sub 6%) and a 60 minute boil. So it can be a thing, just a FYI, and its horrible.
If I'm reading this correctly. During your experiments you were able to produce DMS,  and in order to avoid it I should..

Keep mash pH higher than 5.2.
Boil off rate should be above 6% for 90 minutes.

I should probably start with a small batch and see what works for my system.

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

The Beerery

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 07:45:59 am »

If I'm reading this correctly. During your experiments you were able to produce DMS,  and in order to avoid it I should..

I am just a single data point. I am not telling you really what to avoid, but more so what I have seen.

It's a tough dilemma: As there are draw backs to changing any of those variables.

What I have done with my system is to start to mash a little higher say 5.4, then I keep all other variables the same.

I get a little less oxidation reduction potential from the pH, but I get more alpha activity.

Boiling longer than 60 min can hurt foam, but may rid DMS if you have an issue. I wouldn't jump from 60 right to 90 if there is a problem, I would use increments of 10 minutes. YOu can smell when the DMS is gone.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 07:56:21 am »

I am just a single data point. I am not telling you really what to avoid, but more so what I have seen.

It's a tough dilemma: As there are draw backs to changing any of those variables.

What I have done with my system is to start to mash a little higher say 5.4, then I keep all other variables the same.

I get a little less oxidation reduction potential from the pH, but I get more alpha activity.

Boiling longer than 60 min can hurt foam, but may rid DMS if you have an issue. I wouldn't jump from 60 right to 90 if there is a problem, I would use increments of 10 minutes. YOu can smell when the DMS is gone.
I appreciate your input Bryan. I will take everyones help into consideration during that brew day.

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.