Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Krausening a lager  (Read 2612 times)

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
Krausening a lager
« on: August 18, 2017, 10:05:05 am »
Long time lurker here

I've been using the "quicky krausen" method on my ales recently and have been loving the results both for carbonation and conditioning.

I would love to do this to my first lager however I'm a little confused on the timing of it when it comes to lagers. 

Do I do it before or after the lagering period?  I seem to have read of people using both methods.  Noonan talks about it in reference to priming bottle of lager with krausen.  Which essentially is what I'm doing but in a keg.  I've also read up on doing it pre lagering so the beer is essentially conditioned and carbonated while lagering. 

Post Lagering
  - should I use an ale yeast with the saved wort and condition at Ale temps? 

Pre lagering
  - what temp is idea here if using the same yeast strain as primary?
  - if I do a D-rest would I then bring it back down to 50* for the conditioning/carbing or just keep it at 60*
  - was planning on using 34/70 so I'm pretty sure the 60* temp would be fine

How do the commercial guys go about it?  Krausening and Lagering in the same tank that can handle higher PSI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Beerery

Re: Krausening a lager
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:04:30 am »
I have Krausened, but personally I prefer spunding. Rack to keg with ~4 points remaining and call it a day. If you want to krausen, add before lagering, and base if off the warmest temp the beer will see.

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
Re: Krausening a lager
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:42:47 am »
I have Krausened, but personally I prefer spunding. Rack to keg with ~4 points remaining and call it a day. If you want to krausen, add before lagering, and base if off the warmest temp the beer will see.

Awesome, thanks.  I've done some spunding on some hoppy beers and wasn't that fired up on the results.  I just worry about racking off the yeast too early into secondary I guess.  Might need to look into one of those sweet new Spike Unis so I can spund without having to rack early.