Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Howdy, and beer share review  (Read 1597 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Howdy, and beer share review
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:02:09 pm »
Hey there everyone!

Life has been way busy here. I survived a few months of "No forum", as well as the past 8 months with no tv news... (winky thing).

I paused brewing for a bit. Too hot, and too fat. I'm down about 35 lbs and I think by December I might actually really enjoy brewing a batch, rather than viewing it like some goal to be achieved.

I added a new hobby, steelhead fishing. Of course I took it up on a year that has been a near record low for fish returns... and I decided simply catching steelhead seems too easy, so I had to learn to spey cast flies for them. Which lead to me buying a drift boat. Last week was my first solo trip down the Klickitat. A whole other hobby in itself...

Anyway. I miss you nerds! I'm fine. All is well despite what the news may be telling you.

Jimmykx250 sent me a few beers! He got some leftover Simcoe hops from me and decided to reciprocate. UPS showed up one day and surprised me. Figured I'd been scammed, lol. Pleasant surprise instead.

One of the beers was some "forum recipe". Um, I bet he followed it precisely. But this forum needs some help apparently. But right now I am enjoying, honestly, one of the best old school Barleywines I've ever had. He gave me very little info, just that it's a Barleywine and it's 2 years old.

Holy smokes! I've judged big beers at pro level at a national competition. This would easily make mini BOS easily.

It's well made and clean. Nose is rich, brandy like. Malt fwd, hops... we ho knows. Deep copper appearance, and would have been near brilliant if I hadn't dumped a slug of bottle conditioning in the glass. Bright white, creamy head, that dissipates rapidly as expected to a long lasting ring. A little lace and lots of leg. Flavor is bold and balanced. Rich barley malty goodness,  reminds me totally of a hot schotchie on a wee heavy brew day. Warm but not hot at all. You could tell me it's oaked and is believe it, but probably it isn't. Which is perfect! It's a big badass beer, so of course it's not quaffable, and it's mega full bodied, but not cloying or off putting at all. Mouthfull... enjoy... swallow... enjoy some more... in a few seconds your looking for another pull. It's August and I did chores all day. I'm choosing THIS over light lager. He sent me two bottles. The second is getting cracked in November after a day of catching chinook and coho. THEN it will reeeeeealy shine!

Fantastic job Jimmy! I mean It! Thanks!

Jim

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Howdy, and beer share review
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:04 am »
Welcome back Jim. I have missed your wit and insight.

That barleywine sounds real good. Maybe something for later in the year when it's cold outside, by a fire inside.

Ralph R.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:52:38 am »
I'm envious of anyone who lives and fishes in steelhead country.  I live in Southern Indiana and have to drive 70 miles to find a stream with smallmouth bass.

Most fishing here is for largemouth bass, catfish, and panfish. 

Enjoy your beer and your fishing.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:12:25 am »
Great to hear from you, Jim!  A reminder...HBC is in PDX next year.  Hope to see ya there!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:30:55 pm »
Awesome Jim!  Sounds like you are having fun. Thanks for checking in.  :)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:56 pm »
Good to see you back on, Jim.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 12:48:02 pm »
I hear ya regarding feeling sad and blue about the low, low expected steelhead run this year.  As things stand it makes no sense for me to head over to Idaho this season to fish for them, as I normally would on the Clearwater River.  And congrats on losing the weight, and for getting a drift boat.  And I know what you mean about not letting hobby obsession keep you brewing like on a monthly basis (and then drinking it) simply to keep it rolling.  You might have inspired me to brew next once I'm LOW on beer.   8)