Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cocoa nibs  (Read 5032 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
cocoa nibs
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:33:23 pm »
I've never used them before but want to in my Chocolate Starfish Porter. I plan on racking to secondary  Wednesday night. That will give it two and a half in primary. I will add the nibs to secondary. I assume they will eventually melt into the beer. But it seems to me that as it sits in secondary they will all drop out and be left behind. Is that how it goes, or will I still get a good flavor from them?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline DockDogsBeer

• 1st Kit
    • Twitter: @DockDogsBeer
Re: cocoa nibs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:36:56 pm »
Cocoa Nibs roasted and cracked cocoa beans - they will not melt into the beer. They settle down to the bottom of the fermenter and are large enough that they won't get transferred when siphoning.

I have done them 2 different ways:
- Soak them in vodka/rum for a day to sanitize and then pour the whole thing into the fermenter and let sit for a few more days before packaging.
- Soak them in vodka/rum for a few days, them just pour the liquid in at kegging/bottling time.

Both ways seemed to work equally well. In the future I will probably keep doing the second option. 

I have also read about people sanitizing them by heating in the oven and then adding to the fermenter.
"Pour yourself a drink or three and maybe we'll think clearly for awhile"
-The Fratellis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:41:23 pm »
I have skipped the sanitizing portion and added them directly to the beer, four ounces in five gallons for roughly five days.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:59 am »
Glad you asked this question. Even after several versions, I've been struggling to get the right chocolate profile in my Milk Chocolate Stout, inspired by Young's. Not looking to clone, but experimenting to determine the impact of different additions, and which ones I prefer.

So, 4 Oz. of nibs in 5 gal. is about twice what I have used. And I have not been roasting the nibs. So, roasting at 300 F for 10 minutes about right?

Is the use of Chocolate extract in addition to the nibs useful? I tried 2 Oz. in my last batch, and could not taste any impact. Maybe that was too little also? Or is this not an effective method to add chocolate flavor?

The only significantly perceptible chocolate contribution, at least from my experience, is adding about 8 oz. unsweetened cocoa at F.O.
Roger

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:23:04 am »
I have recently been testing a product called Cholaca.  Pure organic cacao nibs emulsified with water  It's packagad sterile so you can add to taste after fermentation.  I found that it's not only delicious, it's way easier to use than nibs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:54:15 am »
I have recently been testing a product called Cholaca.  Pure organic cacao nibs emulsified with water  It's packagad sterile so you can add to taste after fermentation.  I found that it's not only delicious, it's way easier to use than nibs.
Denny, where are you getting yours? Their website says Whole Foods but I can't find it at my local WF.  How much in a 5 gal. batch do you reckon? I usually use 6oz./5 gal. of nibs for my Chocolate Milk Stout. I'd like to give this stuff a try.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:24 am »
Denny, where are you getting yours? Their website says Whole Foods but I can't find it at my local WF.  How much in a 5 gal. batch do you reckon? I usually use 6oz./5 gal. of nibs for my Chocolate Milk Stout. I'd like to give this stuff a try.

I've been getting my samples from Brewcraft, the distributor.  Should be in homebrew stores soon.  I think Drew got some in the past from Amazon.  As to amount, they say anywhere from 1/2-1 qt. /5 gal.  but since it's sterile you can just add to taste at packaging...or even in your glass!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »
I used 20 oz of unsweetened Cholaca in a Mexican Stout in secondary along with vanilla and some dry peppering. I really wanted the chocolate flavor to shine, but it was for sure noticeable in a beer with A LOT going on. I ended up with 40 out of 50 possible points from 2 judges at a Mexican-mash off competition at a local brewery. Cholaca is hard to find unless you order it online or live in the Colorado area, and its not a very cheap ingredient, but very easy to use.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:39 pm »
Since this is new for me, I checked out the on-line listings. I assume you are using the "raw" version. The supplier ingredients information lists only cacao and water. The "original" version also lists coconut sugar.

It does sound easy to use, but at $35 for a 32 oz. jug, as of today, qualifies as a bit pricey. Still, it might worth a try.
Roger

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 03:49:58 pm »
I have used the nibs only once, 8 oz. soaked in vodka for 24 hours. Was added to the secondary of a Milk Chocolate Stout. Worked out great.... will definitely use them again.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »
I've used two pods, chopped into small pieces and soaked in rum. I expect if I used another kind of liquor it would have been fine also. My dosage was for 5 gallons.

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 03:42:21 am »
Oops! I was talking about vanilla! Yes, I soaked 4 oz of nibs in as little vodka as I could, then dumped the entire mixture into the carboy.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:03 pm »
BTW Weaze, that beer name is disgusting...  :o  You must be a big Limp Bizkit fan, eh?  Either that or a salad fan.  Where's the "trying not to barf" emoji?