Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract vs juice vs flavoring  (Read 6791 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Extract vs juice vs flavoring
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 05:16:19 pm »
So the conversation seems to be that these ingredients are good if you source the 'good stuff'. That begs the question: what are the brands of the good ones and which ones should be avoided?

According to those listed, Natures Flavors and Olive Nation should be in the 'good' column. Are there others? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:19:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Extract vs juice vs flavoring
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:24 am »
I've never enjoyed the flavor of the extracts typically sold in homebrew shops. Medicinal, doesn't taste quite right. I'm sure these are what most of us consider bad extracts.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 08:41:39 am »
I've never enjoyed the flavor of the extracts typically sold in homebrew shops. Medicinal, doesn't taste quite right. I'm sure these are what most of us consider bad extracts.

Indeed.  Funny how to find good flavor extracts, we should need to shop anyplace OTHER than our homebrew shops.  But yeah.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:47:53 am »
My LHBS started carrying the "natural" ones not long ago but have not tried them yet but I do remember how awful the LHBS extracts were in the past.  http://www.homebrewohio.com/beer/additives/flavoring/  These seem overpriced and diluted tho.  Good extracts are POTENT.  I believe there have been some recent large advances is flavor extraction technology.  On a slight tangent, these extracts also make excellent soda syrups/flavored waters/etc too and also I use them in cooking. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 10:15:23 am »
So the conversation seems to be that these ingredients are good if you source the 'good stuff'. That begs the question: what are the brands of the good ones and which ones should be avoided?

According to those listed, Natures Flavors and Olive Nation should be in the 'good' column. Are there others? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northwest is very good.  Also Star-Kay White, especially their chocolate extract.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:21:56 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell