Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: six row  (Read 1864 times)

Offline David

• 1st Kit
six row
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:48:44 am »
What is 6-row and in what way is it different than 2-row?   

Sorry, I'm just a beginner.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Re: six row
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:11 am »
According to what I've read, 6-row has more protein and enzymes than 2-row, but beer made from it tastes grainier than from 2-row.  One benefit for breweries is that the higher enzyme content allows the use of more adjuncts like rice and corn (both cheaper ingredients than malted barley) that don't have enough enzymes to convert by themselves.  The difference in cost is probably not significant for home brewers, but the accountants at the largest breweries rebel at increases of fractions of a cent per barrel given the volume of beer they produce.

Most brewers think that 2-row malts have a fuller, maltier flavor than 6-row.

6-row malts are only grown in N. America and mostly used here.  European marketers use this fact by saying their beer is better because it doesn't contain 6-row. 

That said, the great thing about home brewing is that you can brew what you want to drink without having to please accountants, or to whatever the latest fad dictates. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  That's how we learn.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:13:55 am »
The name comes from the way the kernels grow on the stalk. 2 row has two opposed rows. 6 row has 6 space about 60 degrees apart. One gene is responsible for this.

The kernels are a little smaller, and 6 row has more husk material. As far as grainy flavor, in CAPs I haven't really noticed more than a little more, once I had pH under control. 6 a row has a higher DIastatic power, but that has narrowed with new 2 row varieties, the difference is only about 20 Lintner now (180 vs 160).

Corn is cheaper on a commercial scale, as they use grits and cook them. The domestic rice that AB uses is said to be more expensive than malt. On the Homebrew end, flaked corn and rice are more expensive than North American 2 row. From my local Shop.
Flaked corn = $1.59/ lb.
http://www.homebrewing.org/search.asp?keyword=Flaked
2-row as low as $1.09/lb
http://www.homebrewing.org/search.asp?keyword=Malt

I can buy grits or corn meal cheap, but then have to do a cereal mash to gelantanize the starch in the corn. An added step to the brewday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 07:04:03 pm »
As stated above, the biggest difference in content is that 6-row has more protein than 2-row. I know a farmer in New Zealand (where they apparently don't grow corn for animal feed) who used to grow 2-row for a malting house, but switched to 6-row when he started selling grain for feed. The extra protein is a plus if you are feeding sheep, but  not a plus if you are brewing beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's