Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-hydrating yeast & campden  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Bgmac

• 1st Kit
Re-hydrating yeast & campden
« on: August 19, 2017, 03:16:03 am »
Yeast re-hydration question.  I am going to treat the wort water before putting heat to it with a campden tab to remove chlorine/chlorimine at a rate of one tab per 20 gallons.  My thought was to use some of the treated water for re-hydrating the dry yeast so it is chlorine/chlorimine free.  I was going to scoop some out of the kettle and boil it in the microwave. Will the campden hurt/slow the yeast hydration process?  If it does, I have an RO and was thinking of using purified water for the re-hydration process.   Problem is, I keep reading that you need to use tap water for re hydration since the yeast needs the minerals and RO water is near deionized water.  My RO water is around 3-5 TDS.  Thanks for any advice!

Offline sn00ky

• 1st Kit
Re: Re-hydrating yeast & campden
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:04 am »
Can't answer for sure , but if I rehydrate, I don't worry about it since the volume used in comparison is only about 1 - 2 % of my batch.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Offline sn00ky

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:30 am »
If I make starters, I usually decant

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:33:29 pm »
You do NOT want to use distilled water for rehydrating yeast. The osmotic difference of the "pure" water will not be good for the yeast cells.

When rehydrating yeast, I use bottled spring water from the store that I know is chlorine free.

Offline Bgmac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »
Bottle spring water makes sense.  That's the route I will go.  Thanks!