Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rookie question about OG check  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
Rookie question about OG check
« on: August 17, 2017, 06:33:58 am »
So I'm sitting with my friend last night brewing our own recipe (A smokey irish red ale that uses some peated malt). I usually take my OG when transferring wort into my primary. Is it better to take OG at the end of sparging, or when transferring into primary? Last night when I was taking my reading I couldn't help but think that the suspended particles of hops in the wort must be throwing off my reading. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Rookie question about OG check
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:35 am »
Primary is the best place.  Temperature has an enormous effect, if you are using a hydrometer.  The hops shouldn't matter unless the hydro is sitting on a thick bed of hops that settled out.  If using a refractometer, it should work just fine at any temperature for OG (don't get us started on FG).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:17 am »
   I always check gravity after sparging, but all that tells me is my pre-boil gravity, which gives me an idea of how much water I need to boil off to reach a desired O.G. The actual O.G. can only be determined after the boil.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:42:48 am »
   I always check gravity after sparging, but all that tells me is my pre-boil gravity, which gives me an idea of how much water I need to boil off to reach a desired O.G. The actual O.G. can only be determined after the boil.

This^^^^^

and Westley, have you used peated malt before?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »

This^^^^^

Yes, once before in a stout. It's one of the most delicious things on the planet. Is there something specific I should know about peated malt?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »
A lot of folks here love peated malt, but only  In Scotch

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:10 pm »
A lot of folks here love peated malt, but only  In Scotch

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

That's not what my Irish Red Ale is saying. It's not finished yet, but the wort was fantastic! I'll keep you all up to date on the flavor as the beer finishes if you're interested.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:32 am »

This^^^^^

Yes, once before in a stout. It's one of the most delicious things on the planet. Is there something specific I should know about peated malt?

Only that 99% of brewers can't stand it!  But it's your tastes and your beer....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:58:09 am »

This^^^^^

Only that 99% of brewers can't stand it!  But it's your tastes and your beer....

Yep, I'm a 99%er. Vile stuff IMO.  :)
Jon H.

Offline Brotillery

• Cellarman
  • You had me at stainless
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:45:23 am »

Yes, once before in a stout. It's one of the most delicious things on the planet. Is there something specific I should know enabout peated malt?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Gordon Strong quoted a guy that used a pound of peated malt saying "it tasted like an open grave". Lol