Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transferring from a corny keg fermenter w/o trub  (Read 7823 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Transferring from a corny keg fermenter w/o trub
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 02:06:38 pm »
I have 3 clear beer systems and after spunding to the keg, I am able to pour beer that is clearer than beer that has been lagering for at least 3-4 wks already in the very first pour.

For me, they just allow me to drink a beer when it is super fresh instead of having to wait 3 wks for it to pour somewhat clear after the spund.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 02:08:33 pm »
Then at one point with about 3/4 gallon remaining the clear beer somehow got stuck (I think the dry hopper got in the way) and stopped serving beer. I had to open the keg and knock it free.

Clear beer system now has a screen.  I was able to throw three ounces in the keg without clogging or getting hop bits in my beer

I heard that dry hopping directly in the keg did not work quite as advertised with the screen filter, but I have not tried it directly myself yet.

Hmmmmm....3 oz of pellets, leaf, or cones?  No clogging, or particles in the beer at all?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 02:38:13 pm »
I have 3 clear beer systems and after spunding to the keg, I am able to pour beer that is clearer than beer that has been lagering for at least 3-4 wks already in the very first pour.

For me, they just allow me to drink a beer when it is super fresh instead of having to wait 3 wks for it to pour somewhat clear after the spund.

That's hopeful then.  I should probably just pull the trigger on one and find out for myself how it'll work in my process/system.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 02:42:21 pm »
Then at one point with about 3/4 gallon remaining the clear beer somehow got stuck (I think the dry hopper got in the way) and stopped serving beer. I had to open the keg and knock it free.

Clear beer system now has a screen.  I was able to throw three ounces in the keg without clogging or getting hop bits in my beer

I heard that dry hopping directly in the keg did not work quite as advertised with the screen filter, but I have not tried it directly myself yet.

Hmmmmm....3 oz of pellets, leaf, or cones?  No clogging, or particles in the beer at all?

Pellets
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 05:21:47 pm »

That's hopeful then.  I should probably just pull the trigger on one and find out for myself how it'll work in my process/system.
My experience was that it took two weeks for the beers to be completely bright with and without the clear beer system. Before that the beers were somewhat cloudy.

I can't really say how much better the clear beer was than the dip tube before week two since I didn't do a side by side comparison.