Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Sour  (Read 7435 times)

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
Re: Golden Sour
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25:47 pm »
From The Grumble

Blackberry Sour Ale (17 F)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.80 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.99 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.60 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Date: 10 Jul 2017
Brewer: Mike
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Amt   Name   Type   #   %/IBU
6 lbs 10.0 oz   Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM)   Grain   1   61.3 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz   White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)   Grain   2   23.1 %
9.0 oz   Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)   Grain   3   5.2 %
9.0 oz   Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)   Grain   4   5.2 %
9.0 oz   Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)   Grain   5   5.2 %
0.30 oz   Strisslespalt [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min   Hop   6   2.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg   California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml]   Yeast   7   -
1.0 pkg   Brettanomyces claussenii (Wyeast Labs #WY5151) [50.28 ml] [Add to Secondary]   Yeast   8   -
4.50 lb   Blackberry Puree (Secondary 120.0 days)   Other   9   -
1.00 Items   French Oak Spiral (Secondary 90.0 days)   Flavor   10   -
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Bitterness: 2.0 IBUs
Est Color: 4.5 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 4.97 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Est Mash PH: 5.71
Measured Mash PH: 5.20
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 13.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Target Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Acid Addition:
Sparge Acid Addition:
Mash Steps
Name   Description   Step Temperature   Step Time
Mash In   Add 13.51 qt of water at 170.6 F   155.0 F   60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.97 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 3.61 oz
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Fermenter:
Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Est: Bottle with 3.61 oz Corn Sugar
Carbonation (from Meas Vol): Bottle with 3.93 oz Corn Sugar
Age for: 360.00 days
Storage Temperature: 68.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Here's a little better draft of what I'm thinking. Also the aromatic grain??? Will it make a big difference using what I picked over the recommended Franco-Belges?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Golden Ale Recipe
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 08:52:59 pm »
Are you sure the IBU is 2? That's not even enough to provide antibacterial effect. I'm not even sure that's enough to clear federal minimums for hopping rates. (Not a concern for homebrew but for the brewery that inspired you.)
The have hoping rates based on 7.5 Lbs/100 barrels. No IBU requirement.

Edit doing the math shows that would be ~0.2 Oz for a 5 gallon batch.

Edit 2 - the brewery may have really low AA Strisselspalt.

I meant those as somewhat independent points and did a poor job distinguishing them. You're right they would have to make a very late addition to get to 2 IBUs. If I saw that IBU number I'd check to make sure it isn't missing a digit. I know some breweries out there are doing 0 IBU kettle sours and dry hopping to hit the digits so it may be the correct number.

At 2 IBU, absent other antimicrobial ingredients, the beer has little protection from microbes that can create some pretty bad flavors and textures, even in sour beer. Like the 0 IBU kettle sours I know there is a stream of thought currently that approves of that process, but I've tasted enough bad sour beer to think differently.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 09:08:18 pm »
I didn't have the AA set right. Going to be .6 oz as they are 1.8-2.5 AA

narvin

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 08:49:33 am »
I just want to point out that Brett is not necessarily going to get you a sour beer.  It can produce some acidity, and with a tart fruit added and the tannins from the wood you might get what you're looking for.  I haven't had the source beer but if it's legitimately sour, lacto/pedio is probably the cause.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 02:17:46 pm »
I just want to point out that Brett is not necessarily going to get you a sour beer.  It can produce some acidity, and with a tart fruit added and the tannins from the wood you might get what you're looking for.  I haven't had the source beer but if it's legitimately sour, lacto/pedio is probably the cause.
This ^^and what other reason would there be to have the hopping rate so minimal besides using lacto/pedio.
Dan Chisholm

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:15 pm »
The little bit you can assume from Sweetwater's site about their woodworks project is that it produces some wild and/or funky beers which generally goes beyond just Brett.  If you, the OP, picked up on any level of sourness to the beer then you can safely assume they had some other bugs in there (lacto/pedio) along with the Brett.  If you want to push the beer out quick then try lacto and ZERO hops (0ibu); if you're willing to wait 3-6 months for it to be ready (and arguably better) then use your 2ibu hop rates with some pedio.

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:32 pm »
The little bit you can assume from Sweetwater's site about their woodworks project is that it produces some wild and/or funky beers which generally goes beyond just Brett.  If you, the OP, picked up on any level of sourness to the beer then you can safely assume they had some other bugs in there (lacto/pedio) along with the Brett.  If you want to push the beer out quick then try lacto and ZERO hops (0ibu); if you're willing to wait 3-6 months for it to be ready (and arguably better) then use your 2ibu hop rates with some pedio.

I tried several of there beers during the tour. This was by far the least sour. The tart was blackberry tart and the finish was a pretty smooth Ale finish with no identifiable hop flavor. Now some of there other sour beers were WOW sour. I almost want to go do the tour again for the simple fact that I would most likely listen a little better since the wow factor would be over. Really cool place. I'm going to do a little reading on the pedio.

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 06:25:22 am »
So I brewed this beer 3 weeks ago. Went very well. Primary finished at 1.010. I racked to secondary yesterday and added the fruit along with the oak and pitched Brett C. The airlock has no activity today. Is this pretty normal for Brett?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 07:21:39 am »
So I brewed this beer 3 weeks ago. Went very well. Primary finished at 1.010. I racked to secondary yesterday and added the fruit along with the oak and pitched Brett C. The airlock has no activity today. Is this pretty normal for Brett?
Yes, you're going to have to be patient.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 08:07:02 am »

Sounds good! Just wanted to make sure this was normal. Can this be aged in a keg once the gravity stops dropping? I have it in a 6.5 gallon carboy right now. It has a decent krausen on it right now. I was just worried about having such a large head space for long term aging.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 08:24:41 am »

Sounds good! Just wanted to make sure this was normal. Can this be aged in a keg once the gravity stops dropping? I have it in a 6.5 gallon carboy right now. It has a decent krausen on it right now. I was just worried about having such a large head space for long term aging.
I age some of my sours for over a year in a carboy. If you're worried you can always flush the top with CO2.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dasdubtech

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 08:27:56 am »

I age some of my sours for over a year in a carboy. If you're worried you can always flush the top with CO2.

I am going to let it roll. Thanks for the advice!