Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wasted Batch?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline dbkwbrewer

• 1st Kit
Wasted Batch?
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:06:08 pm »
https://twitter.com/dbkw_brewer/status/899367030717022210

I have no idea what happened but during cold crash my blow off tub did a reverse siphon and sucked in the sanitizer from the blow off bucket. I also have another layer that I think might be clarifier solution? Pretty sure this is one too dump.... would appreciate any insight on what I did wrong.

Details: after secondary I put in a clarifier and set the fermenter to 3.5 degrees Celsius. Sat for seven days and came out like this. I know one layer is santizer solution because the santizer in the blow off bucket was all but gone.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wasted Batch?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »
When warm wort cools it sucks. Literally. All you did was learn that suck back occurs because, as the air in the headspace above the wort cools, the air contracts. The contracting air pulls the liquid backwards through the lock.  The same effect will happen when crash-cooling beer post-fermentation, if using a liquid air-lock.

I chill as much as possible then drain to a fermenter and cover the blowoff port with foil. Once to pitching temp, I pitch yeast and hook up the blow off tube. When I remove the tube I always remove the blowoff jug side before the fermenter side which seems to reduce issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:40:44 pm by BrewBama »

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Wasted Batch?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:34:40 pm »
A S-style air lock would have been better than the blow off tube assembly.  Hind sight though.  How much sanitizer and what was the sanitizer?  A blow off tube assembly can be fitted with a reservoir in the middle that is larger than the volume of the sanitizer to prevent this.  More work and cumbersome when moving a fermentor.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:49:32 pm »
A S-style air lock would have been better than the blow off tube assembly. 

+1. The 'S' style works both ways. ...if you have the space above the fermenter to use one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 04:09:21 pm »
You don't need any type of air lock when cold crashing. Just plug the air lock hole. Pressure inside the fermenter will drop below the pressure outside the fermenter but that is okay.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:18:17 pm »
If you had Starsan in the blow off vessel you're probably OK even if you sucked 1/2 pint or so into a 5 gallon batch.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:21:21 am »
Is the fruit already in the beer? It looks like peach puree is floating on the top part of the beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline cdawson

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
I switched to using cheap vodka or rum in my airlocks. I don't seem to have as much loss to evaporation or bubbling as with starsan. Plus when I chill and get suck back there's a lot less to worry about. 1/2 oz of vodka isn't going to hurt anything in a 5 gallon batch.