Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pellet to wet hops conversion  (Read 14639 times)

Offline ppearson50

• 1st Kit
Pellet to wet hops conversion
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:59:37 am »
I am fairly new to bringing but have three mature hops plants in my backyard so I am going to try to wet hop an IPA. If my one gallon kit uses 16 grams of pellet hops. What is the conversion from dry pelleted hops to wet hops. I read somewhere six to one ration.

Offline ppearson50

• 1st Kit
Re: Pellet to wet hops conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:04:34 am »
Oops. Brewing not bringing.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:06 am »
I've always used a 5:1 ratio of wet:dry, but 6:1 is close enough too.

Whole hops versus pellet should be factored in as well if you're talking about bittering.  I think pellet give an extra 10% bittering over whole.

Offline ppearson50

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:15:30 am »
Thanks for the reply. Does that five to one or six to one mean wet hops? I would take them right off the plant and put them in the boil.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:29:57 am »
Yeah, fresh hops (right off the vine) would use this ratio.  For instance, if you normally use 1 oz of dried whole cone hops then you would sub with 5-6 oz of fresh whole cone hops.  If it's a bittering addition and you normally use pellet hops, then add an additional 10%.  If it's for aroma/flavor (i.e. late addition) then don't bother with the extra 10%.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
Yeah, fresh hops (right off the vine) would use this ratio.  For instance, if you normally use 1 oz of dried whole cone hops then you would sub with 5-6 oz of fresh whole cone hops.  If it's a bittering addition and you normally use pellet hops, then add an additional 10%.  If it's for aroma/flavor (i.e. late addition) then don't bother with the extra 10%.

+1
This is what I've used too.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 05:20:13 pm »
I haven't tried this yet, but am using it to dry my hops. You may be able to dry a small sample out to determine the %dry matter. Hops are typically dried to 8.5% moisture. Depending on your growing conditions,  your hops might be 70-80% moisture.

Edit: Here's some a link to UVMs hop drying calculator that goes into figuring out harvest moisture.
http://www.uvm.edu/extension/extensionapps/engineering/?Page=hopscalc.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:22:53 pm by Wilbur »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 02:26:34 pm »
So, I'm trying out my theory tonight. Using the UVM hop calculator, I've determined my fresh/wet hops are 26% dry matter. The fresh weight is 1213 g, which (if dried), has an equivalent dry weight of 345.6 g. This gives a ration of 3.5:1, which is significantly lower than typical recommendations. I'm planning on brewing an IPA with a ton of late hops (single hop-Columbus). Any thoughts on this? I'll update with my impression of the beer and the bitterness. Might have to brew a pellet version for a comparison.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 03:53:02 pm »
You need about 5 times as many wet hops as pellets.  I think 6 times would constitute 20% overkill and will increase IBU contributions by a noticeable amount unless reserving only for dry hopping.

Personally I use my homegrown hops for bittering as well as late additions, and I find my homegrown hops have about the same or slightly higher alpha acid than you would get in pellets, maybe an extra 0.2-0.4% alpha or something like that compared to the typical averages.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 03:55:59 pm »
So, I'm trying out my theory tonight. Using the UVM hop calculator, I've determined my fresh/wet hops are 26% dry matter. The fresh weight is 1213 g, which (if dried), has an equivalent dry weight of 345.6 g. This gives a ration of 3.5:1, which is significantly lower than typical recommendations. I'm planning on brewing an IPA with a ton of late hops (single hop-Columbus). Any thoughts on this? I'll update with my impression of the beer and the bitterness. Might have to brew a pellet version for a comparison.

I calculate about a 4.2:1 ratio for yours, if you're sure they are 26% dry matter on average.  The 5 times ratio that I reported in the previous post assumed 22% dry matter which is more typical.  26% seems very very high, I've never seen that in my homegrowns, which max out at maybe 23-24% solids.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 04:24:23 pm »
You need about 5 times as many wet hops as pellets.  I think 6 times would constitute 20% overkill and will increase IBU contributions by a noticeable amount unless reserving only for dry hopping.

Personally I use my homegrown hops for bittering as well as late additions, and I find my homegrown hops have about the same or slightly higher alpha acid than you would get in pellets, maybe an extra 0.2-0.4% alpha or something like that compared to the typical averages.

I think it's more like 5 times as much wet as dry, and then account for pellets.  You use 10% more whole dry hops then pellets, so you have to factor that in.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 04:46:31 pm »

I think it's more like 5 times as much wet as dry, and then account for pellets.  You use 10% more whole dry hops then pellets, so you have to factor that in.

Thanks -- I did in fact factor that in.  1 / 22% * 110% = 5
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:48:46 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave