Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Over shot pre boil gravity  (Read 4806 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Over shot pre boil gravity
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:10:11 pm »
Up until today my brewhouse efficiency has been fairly consistent at about 64-66%. Today I tried a new recipe utilizing that information. Brewing software calculated this recipe as coming in at an original gravity at 1.057. Gravity reading at pre boil was 1.070. I cannot explain this, as I have not changed anything in my process. I will be using Wyeast 2112 California Lager for the yeast which says the top end original gravity should be 1.060. As I was expecting a gravity at 1.057 I did not make a starter. Will this yeast still work? Perhaps taking a bit longer in fermentation?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline sn00ky

• 1st Kit
Re: Over shot pre boil gravity
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:25:31 pm »
Perhaps consider pulling out and replacing volume with water before the boil ? Then save the wort you pulled for starter next time

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »
How far along in the process are you?  Are you done boiling?  Did you Pitch?

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:27:23 pm »
Have not yet pitched, cooling right noe

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline sn00ky

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:28:22 pm »
Have you finished the boil ? If so, what was the post boil gravity? If you haven't finished the boil, can you boil longer ? What is your target pre boil gravity supposed to be ?

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:31:34 pm »
Cooling right now will take a reading here shortly. Estimated pre boil gravity was 1.048

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:53:52 pm »
Cooling right now will take a reading here shortly. Estimated pre boil gravity was 1.048

Once you're done cooling and transferring to the Fermenter.. I would double check how much yeast is needed.  Either on MrMalty.com or BrewersFriend.  If you're going to end up under pitching with a single pack (sounds like you're making a lager based on your yeast), I would go grab another pack.  Last thing you want to do is under pitch a beer that'll sit in the Fermenter for 4-6 weeks and end up disappointed..

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:05:09 pm »
OG came out to be 1.065, may have misread my hydrometer at pre boil. Or perhaps I need to replace it. Still a bit higher than the expected 1.057.

Offline sn00ky

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »
+1 on the underpitching.  Throw another pack in with it just to be sure you get the best out of it.  Let us know how it fairs out!

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 07:02:35 am »
I seem to have a problem with pre-boil gravity readings with a hydrometer.  I think it's hard to get a well-mixed sample, and my readings often tend to come out lower than anticipated. 

On one batch, I reacted to the lower-than-expected mash gravity reading, added some DME and ended up with a higher FG and higher estimated ABV than I had planned on. 

On the next batch I also got a lower mash gravity reading, but ignored it by making no additions to boost gravity and my FG reading came out spot-on to my original calculations in excel.

As long as my FG readings match by original calculations, I plan to ignore mash gravity.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 08:17:38 am »
I seem to have a problem with pre-boil gravity readings with a hydrometer.  I think it's hard to get a well-mixed sample, and my readings often tend to come out lower than anticipated. 

On one batch, I reacted to the lower-than-expected mash gravity reading, added some DME and ended up with a higher FG and higher estimated ABV than I had planned on. 

On the next batch I also got a lower mash gravity reading, but ignored it by making no additions to boost gravity and my FG reading came out spot-on to my original calculations in excel.
   As long as my FG readings match by original calculations, I plan to ignore mash gravity.
   Are you pulling your gravity sample from the mash tun, or from the BK?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:32 am »

I pull my sample after I transfer to the kettle, I figured it would be better mixed at that point. It seems that my refractometer is the problem, it has consistently been about .01 lower than my hydrometer measurements.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:44:12 am by David »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »
It seems that my refractometer is the problem, it has consistently been about .01 lower than my hydrometer measurements.

Which is why I have 3 refractometers that sit unused.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 12:23:52 am »
I only use my refractometer for a quick and ballpark full kettle pre-boil reading.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:14 am »

I do BIAB and obtain the sample after I have pulled the grain bag and stirred the wort.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!