Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overcarbonated  (Read 3313 times)

Offline rizzman21

• 1st Kit
Overcarbonated
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
So here's the issue...
Brewed a ~8% brown ale (AG). Made it with two pounds of Heath bar crumbles at flameout... Not the first time I've made this recipe. Kegged it at 2.3 volumes. Poured a case of bombers off of the keg and now when I pop one it's over carbonated like nothing I've ever seen before...
So I don't necessarily know what happened. If it was excess sugar from the toffee even though it fermented out to 1.014. Or maybe it was the residual peanuts in the toffee that may have transferred to the bombers that create some sort of ionization and produce carbonation until there's none left.

Anywho, let me know what's you think the issue is...
Cheers!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Overcarbonated
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:01 am »
It's most likely related to "nucleation" and is because of extra sediment carried over.  CO2 loves to form on particles or imperfections of any kind, and if there are particles in the bottles, this can cause gushers.

You could pop all the caps and recap to remove some of the carbonation.

Or every time you want to pop one of these, pour it into a pitcher to allow the foam to die down, then transfer to a glass for easier drinking with less foam.

It happens.  To avoid it in future, just try to keep any sediment out of the bottles as much as humanly possible.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline rizzman21

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 01:20:30 pm »
That was essentially my train of thought. Nucleation of the trub pulled over from secondary. Just seemed real damn carbonated when it was supposed to only be about 2.2 volumes

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:58:06 pm »
You could sacrifice a little of the bottled beer to check whether or not the SG is still at 1.014.  I've had one beer finish fermenting in the bottles.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:50:43 am »
It's most likely related to "nucleation" and is because of extra sediment carried over.  CO2 loves to form on particles or imperfections of any kind, and if there are particles in the bottles, this can cause gushers.

You could pop all the caps and recap to remove some of the carbonation.

Or every time you want to pop one of these, pour it into a pitcher to allow the foam to die down, then transfer to a glass for easier drinking with less foam.

It happens.  To avoid it in future, just try to keep any sediment out of the bottles as much as humanly possible.

+1 to above

Did you cold crash your beer prior to carbonating?  Chill it in the fermenter to as close to 32 F as possible for about three days, and you 'll drop a lot of sediment out.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!