Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Enartis Yeast in a Cider Brew  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Enartis Yeast in a Cider Brew
« on: August 26, 2017, 11:06:23 am »
I am using a 55 Gallon Barrel for the Ferment

Here is the Yeast I am using

It is Enartis ES 123, which will bring the Cider to 14% ABV and add Apple and Pear Terpenes.

I am not sure exactly how much Juice I used, but I used different kinds. All of them were 100% Juice with the only added ingredients being Vitamin C (Absorbic Acid) and Malic Acid (the Acid that Apples already contain, which gives them their flavor.

Apple Juice Concentrate, 100% Apple Juice with the only added ingredients being the same as the Juice

25 Lbs of Sugar

You don't have to use this much Yeast, but I decided to just because

Yeast Nutrient to get it going

4 Lbs of Cinnamon Sticks

Then after this I added more Juice until it was above that Line in the barrel, so about 50 Gallons, maybe more, total. I didn't fill it all the way up because if you fill it too much it will bubble out of the top.

This was the airlock Yesterday, the air pushing the Water means that it is working

You might not be able to tell from this picture, but this is today and it is Bubbling fast. Each Bubble is CO2 being made by the Yeast, which means that Alcohol is being made by the Yeast, as CO2 and Alcohol are the byproducts of Yeast eating Sugar. This Yeast also has the added benefit of creating Apple and Pear Terpenes, so usually Cider that was this strong would basically just taste like Wine, this will still taste like Apples and Pears.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:29:28 am by Sasha »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Enartis Yeast in a Cider Brew
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:17:44 pm »
Cool man. One thing I noticed is you keep saying the yeast will make terpenes. Pretty sure terpenes come come from plant material. Yeast produce esters.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:30 pm »
This Yeast also has the added benefit of creating Apple and Pear Terpenes, so usually Cider that was this strong would basically just taste like Wine, this will still taste like Apples and Pears.

A) Yeast needs the correct substrates (building blocks) to be present to create compounds in the finished product. Just because a yeast can make a particular compound out of wine must, that doesn't guarantee that it can make it from apple juice.

B) Just because a yeast may make certain compounds that on their own smell/taste like one thing, that doesn't mean that when you have it in a low amount in a finished ferment that you will be able to pick it out separately. Flavors and aromas in combination, especially at low amounts, don't always resemble the individual ingredients.

Good luck!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 02:55:24 pm »
This Yeast also has the added benefit of creating Apple and Pear Terpenes, so usually Cider that was this strong would basically just taste like Wine, this will still taste like Apples and Pears.

A) Yeast needs the correct substrates (building blocks) to be present to create compounds in the finished product. Just because a yeast can make a particular compound out of wine must, that doesn't guarantee that it can make it from apple juice.

B) Just because a yeast may make certain compounds that on their own smell/taste like one thing, that doesn't mean that when you have it in a low amount in a finished ferment that you will be able to pick it out separately. Flavors and aromas in combination, especially at low amounts, don't always resemble the individual ingredients.

Good luck!

A) We already talked about this, Grapes have the same acids as apples.

B) This Yeast is meant to make smells and flavors, "intense smell of apples and pears" was specifically used to describe it.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:26:48 am »
I also have the Enartis WS Yeast, which goes to 18% and compliments any fruit by adding fruity notes. So I'm going to use that to make some Cider Champagne once the ES 123 gets it to 14% ABV

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:50 am »
I have been smelling the air coming out of the airlock, and at first it just smelled like warm cinnamon sugar, then last night I added a tube to the airlock and put it in my grow tent so my plants can have CO2. When I put the tube on, it was at that time smelling a little bit like farts along with the cinnamon. So I looked up "Cider Sulphur" and apparently it's not weird for that to happen. So I didn't worry about that, and people were saying that adding Yeast Nutrients helps, and I already did that. Then today I grabbed the tube and smelled it, and while it was strong yesterday it was an even stronger smell today. And at first I couldn't tell what it was, but it kind of smells like Apple candy.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:51:07 am »
Sulphur will off gas over time. How much yeast nutrient did you use? Many have different recommendations for beer vs wine/cider with beer needing much less.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:54:46 am »
Sulphur will off gas over time. How much yeast nutrient did you use? Many have different recommendations for beer vs wine/cider with beer needing much less.

I didn't measure, I just cut a small hole in the bag and sprinkled it in. I definitely didn't use anywhere near 1tsp per gallon though, which is what it suggests on the bag.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:04:16 am »
Here is the link to the Yeast I am using if anyone else wants to try it.
http://shop-usa.enartis.com/enartis-ferm-es-123-2

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 11:56:24 am »

I didn't measure, I just cut a small hole in the bag and sprinkled it in. I definitely didn't use anywhere near 1tsp per gallon though, which is what it suggests on the bag.
Yeah, more nutrient may have helped, but in my experience, it won't cause any real issue in the long run.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »

Yeah, more nutrient may have helped, but in my experience, it won't cause any real issue in the long run.

I just don't want all that Urea in there. Doing 1 tsp per gallon for 50 gallons, it would have been like pissing in it.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 01:56:19 pm »
Also, Cinnamon is a natural addition to Cider, but Cinnamaldehyde actually has effects on your liver, it depletes Glutithione. So this Cider will be stronger than normal Cider (without Cinnamon), plus it's 14% ABV with the base Yeast and 18% ABV with the Yeast that I'm going to use in the Cider Champagne bottles.

Offline Stevie

Enartis Yeast in a Cider Brew
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »
What's your issue with urea? It's not like somebody is pissing in your barrel.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:54:34 pm by Stevie »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 01:20:42 pm »
Also, Cinnamon is a natural addition to Cider, but Cinnamaldehyde actually has effects on your liver, it depletes Glutithione. So this Cider will be stronger than normal Cider (without Cinnamon), plus it's 14% ABV with the base Yeast and 18% ABV with the Yeast that I'm going to use in the Cider Champagne bottles.

Are you thinking that your first yeast (123) will fully ferment to the 14%, and then at that point you'll add your second yeast (WS) and bottle it up to have it ferment to 18% as well as carbonate the champagne bottles?