Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dewberry Blonde Ale Hops  (Read 3691 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Dewberry Blonde Ale Hops
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
Hello,

A friend hooked me up with several pounds of fresh dewberries, a type of blackberry, and I was kicking around the idea of making a blonde ale with them.

I was looking for suggestions on hops for bittering and finishing. I was thinking Hallatter for bittering and Saaz for finishing.

Any suggestions or experience using dewberries/blackberries?
-Donde

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dewberry Blonde Ale Hops
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:07:51 pm »
I'm not sure any finishing hops at all would be appropriate.  Why not leave them out and let the fruit speak?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:03 pm »
I'm not sure any finishing hops at all would be appropriate.  Why not leave them out and let the fruit speak?

So are you saying just use the Hallatter? Or no hops at all?
-Donde

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:17 pm »

So are you saying just use the Hallatter? Or no hops at all?

Just the Hallertauer. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:28:16 pm »
I'm with Denny.
Keep the fruit front and center.  Any noble hop or noble progeny (Mt Hood, etc) would be fine.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:30:00 am »
I'm with Denny.
Keep the fruit front and center.  Any noble hop or noble progeny (Mt Hood, etc) would be fine.

Update on the dewberry blonde:

I went with Denny's advice and only used the Hallatter. I moved from the primary to the secondary yesterday and thus far it is tasting great. I added the fruit to the secondary and I am planning on giving it a week then tasting it. Really excited for this beer and the contest I am submitting it to.

Thanks again for all the advice.
-Donde

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:42 pm »
The yeast will kick in again and you may get quite a vigorous second fermentation, but sometimes it can be slow, depending on how much of your yeast has already flocked out.  Both are normal.  I'd give it more time than just a week.  Let it ferment out.  Your patience will be rewarded.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:38 am »
The yeast will kick in again and you may get quite a vigorous second fermentation, but sometimes it can be slow, depending on how much of your yeast has already flocked out.  Both are normal.  I'd give it more time than just a week.  Let it ferment out.  Your patience will be rewarded.

Thanks for the tip. Thus far I have not noticed any yeast activity. But I will let it keep for a while. I am a little pressed for time since this is for a contest. But I think I can give a extra week or two.
-Donde