Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which base malts do you keep in stock in bulk (~1 sack or greater)?

Pils
35 (24.8%)
Pale
14 (9.9%)
Maris Otter
22 (15.6%)
Vienna
6 (4.3%)
Munich
15 (10.6%)
2 Row
32 (22.7%)
6 Row
0 (0%)
Wheat
6 (4.3%)
Rye
3 (2.1%)
Optic
2 (1.4%)
Pearl
0 (0%)
Halcyon
0 (0%)
Golden Promise
6 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Which base malts do you keep in stock?  (Read 8199 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Which base malts do you keep in stock?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 02:17:01 pm »
   JIT is fine if you're close enough to supply, and never get a wild hair to do something on the spur of the moment. Most of the stuff I order takes a week or more to get here, so I keep lots on hand. Currently I have about 3 dozen types of barley malt and a dozen kinds of non-barley malts and flakes - but only a half dozen or so that were purchased by the whole bag, and some DME, candi syrup, etc. I'd be curious to know how much stuff other people keep on hand.

My shops in town are kind of a mixed bag-one's a hydroponics shop that has about 11 malts and sells by the ounce. The other is a liquor store that mostly sells by the pound ($3/lb). I used to keep 1 base malt, but went up to a sack each of two base malts (pils & Vienna). I have a pound or two of chocolate/roast malt, but everything else I try and get just enough for that batch. I'd like to get some 10 lb bags of wheat, rye, oats, etc. for spontaneous brews, but I'm working on building up some bulk hop supplies. Right now I have a bit less than a pound of mosiac, nugget, cascade, crystal hop hash (~1.5 lbs), palisade, & lemondrop.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 05:47:15 pm »
In addition to the Pils, Maris Otter and Pale Ale base malts, I have anywhere from 1-5 pounds of various specialty malts on hand. I also keep a few ounces of 10-12 hop varieties on hand.
I harvest and repitch 3 varieties of yeast.
My LHBS is a 2 hour round trip drive from my house and online ordering takes 5-7 days to arrive.
I like to be able to brew when ever I feel like it.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline jim atlas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 12:11:35 pm »
6 row is not 2 row.  Neither is wheat or rye.

Generally in the US, "pale" is not as pale as 2-row. 

Myself, I prefer spelt to wheat malt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 03:44:45 pm »

In all the malts I use, pale is pale.  It's almost always called 2 row pale malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrPowers

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 04:22:16 pm »
I tend to rotate through different base malts that I keep in stock. I can keep up to 3 55lb sacks at a time plus specialty malts.

I will be on a British beer kick for awhile, so I will keep Golden Promise and Maris Otter or something similar. Then I will switch to American styles so I keep a lot of 2 row and American Pilsner.  Then I will switch to continental and keep a German Pils and Vienna or Munich. Right now I have Golden Promise and Gambrinus ESB. I'll probably buy Pils and Vienna next.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 07:06:15 pm »

In all the malts I use, pale is pale.  It's almost always called 2 row pale malt.
I've just seen some two row come in at 2 Lovibond, versus 3.5, etc. Not sure if it really makes a difference at that point though.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 07:48:31 pm »
I keep none in stock anymore besides leftovers like a quarter pound of this or that.  Otherwise I buy fresh for each batch.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jim atlas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 08:28:19 pm »

I've just seen some two row come in at 2 Lovibond, versus 3.5, etc. Not sure if it really makes a difference at that point though.

It makes a difference depending on what sort of beer you're making... Maybe.
But like I said, and you pointed out "standard 2-row" is 1.5-2°L, and "pale ale" is 3-4°L.  Just look at great western or Rahr's catalogues. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 06:17:01 am »
I keep none in stock anymore besides leftovers like a quarter pound of this or that.  Otherwise I buy fresh for each batch.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 09:07:20 am »
   Unfortunately for some of us, buying fresh for each batch involves either ordering more than a week in advance of planned brew day, or a 250 mile round trip to the LHBS. Under those circumstances, I prefer to do the Boy Scout thing and "be prepared". One of the reasons I bought a larger house than I really needed 30 years ago, was so that I didn't have to pay other folks a premium to warehouse stuff for me. In BFE, JIT is a laughable concept.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 10:10:44 am »
   Unfortunately for some of us, buying fresh for each batch involves either ordering more than a week in advance of planned brew day, or a 250 mile round trip to the LHBS. Under those circumstances, I prefer to do the Boy Scout thing and "be prepared". One of the reasons I bought a larger house than I really needed 30 years ago, was so that I didn't have to pay other folks a premium to warehouse stuff for me. In BFE, JIT is a laughable concept.

Okay... to be honest, I keep 3 batches worth on hand most of the time.  Now ya happy!?  ;)

This does require planning exactly what recipes I intend to brew well ahead of time, then brewing them in a timely manner before yeast goes bad, etc.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 11:01:51 am »

3.5 would usually be referred to as "pale ale".  All the pale I see is 1.8-2.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 11:02:55 am »

A lot of the malts I want to use aren't available like that so the only choice is to buy a bag.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:18 pm »
You buy Malt?  I thought you are given sacks from your sponsors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 09:33:21 am »
You buy Malt?  I thought you are given sacks from your sponsors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes, but I buy plenty!

www.dennybrew.com