Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish Ales  (Read 4671 times)

Offline patto1ro

• 1st Kit
Scottish Ales
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:12:17 pm »
Really disappointed by the article on Scottish Ales in the July August issue. Full of the same unresearched rubbish about Scottish beer. I despair.  It doesn't even convert 12 guineas into shillings properly: it's 252 not 156. (A guinea is 21 shillings.)

Roast barley for colour, long boils, cool fermentations - none of it is true. There's also no connection between the Shilling Ales of the 19th century and modern 60/-, 70/- and 80/-. The old ones were Milds Ales, the modern ones are all Pale Ales.

The 80/- recipe bears no resemblance to any 80/- ever brewed in Scotland. Too strong, for a start. 1045º is a strong as it gets.

I've published plenty of real information (based on brewing records) on Scottish beer. Ne excuse for anyone getting it so wrong any more.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Scottish Ales
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:44 pm »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »
Being on the cutting edge of anything has its perils. Ron is suffering from this now. All I can say is for Ron to get the word out more widely and then those tired texts and wives tales will fall from use.

PS: I loved the education on Scottish beers and brewing in Indy this Spring!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:04 pm »
Oh god do I feel your pain (on German beers though)!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:49:20 pm »
So, can I substitute Bamburg smoked malt if my LHBS doesn't have any peat smoked?

Relax... I kid, I kid.  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online BrewBama

Scottish Ales
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:46 pm »
Ron, I am very interested in your work on Scottish Ales. Where can I find the information?  I was considering brewing the recipe in the article but of course would brew a more authentic recipe if available. The Barclay Perkins site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:19:53 pm by BrewBama »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:30:49 pm »
Ron, I am very interested in your work on Scottish Ales. Where can I find the information?  I was considering brewing the recipe in the article but of course would brew a more authentic recipe if available. The Barclay Perkins site?

[http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu.com/shop/ronald-pattinson/scotland-vol-2/paperback/product-23103653.html]

Having brewed a couple of the old recipes Ron has published in his previous book The Home Brewers Guide to Vintage Beer, I can attest that they are delicious. Just get over your prejudice to adding sugar to beer!

Offline patto1ro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:19:53 pm »

There's a whole load of stuff on my blog. And I recently published a book on Scottish beer with 370 recipes.

This, for Maclay 80/-, is one of them:

1965 Maclay Export      
pale malt   6.25 lb   73.62%
flaked maize   1.00 lb   11.78%
malt extract   0.25 lb   2.94%
No. 1 invert   0.66 lb   7.77%
No. 3 invert   0.33 lb   3.89%
Northern Brewer 90 min   0.75 oz   
Fuggles 60 min   0.75 oz   
Goldings 30 min   0.75 oz   
Goldings dry hops   0.25 oz   
OG   1040   
FG   1011   
ABV   3.84   
Apparent attenuation   72.50%   
IBU   38   
SRM   6   
Mash at   148/158º F   
Sparge at   165º F   
Boil time   90 minutes   
pitching temp   63.5º F   
Yeast   WLP028 Edinburgh Ale   

Online BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:44:05 am »
This recipe looks good. I'll have to find your book. Thank you!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:28:34 am »
I have been resisting buying another recipe book. The recipe above is intriguing. Resistance is futile.

Well, after I get through Dr. Pat's new book I bought at NHC, err, HomeBrewCon.  ;)

I have this affinity for new brewing books.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 05:38:28 am »
Being on the cutting edge of anything has its perils. Ron is suffering from this now. All I can say is for Ron to get the word out more widely and then those tired texts and wives tales will fall from use.

I don't blame the average homebrewer for not keeping up on every bit of historical research (even though Ron and others have been giving it away from free on their blogs for a really long time), but the editors at Zymurgy (and Brew Your Own) seem to have abdicated all responsibility for fact checking on historical beer styles. If the editors haven't heard of Ron Pattinson and allow an article to go through that only cites a reference from 1993 (oh wait, its from Brewers Publications, so it must be ok) then they aren't doing their jobs.

Here's an idea.  Find a homebrewer or historian or two and invite them to the editorial advisory board.  And if there's an article that makes a claim about historical beer styles, email it it to them and ask them if it stands up to what historical beer research has been saying. I'm sure Ron would rather give you feedback before it is published rather than have a heart attack while reading it after it is published.
Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild

Online BrewBama

Scottish Ales
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 06:30:15 am »
This is a great resource for someone like me.:

"This is a shameless listing of the Let’s Brew (Wednesday) Postings from Ron’s blog at Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. All of the posts can be found at the Let’s Brew tag."

http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:31:53 am by BrewBama »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 02:26:33 pm »
I know I have to buy the book and I will  ;) but still, a quick question:what is the purpose of the 3% malt extract in the recipe?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.