Author Topic: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Robert

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Re: Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2019, 03:33:20 AM »
I agree with this latest turn of the conversation.   I have often admitted that I don't care who makes my beer, I only care about the beer.  If you're an evil empire and make good beer, I'll drink it.  If you're a charming, Quixotic mom and pop, and make crap beer, you don't get my money.  You don't deserve charity, you got into the brewing business.  (And if you're a mom and  pop who made good and cashed in selling out to the evil empire, congratulations.  You weren't running a charity either.)  And I still fail to see the existential threat in owning a homebrew supply company or collecting data.   But co-opting the distribution system meant to preserve competition and an even playing field, to suffocate competition and deny the consumers any choice but to take what you shove down their throats, by effectively passing envelopes under the table in the proverbial smoke filled room -- yeah, that's the real threat.  That's where we need to focus our attention.  The sheer  number of breweries and brands-- SKUs to use the lingo -- versus the finite amount of shelf space and number of tap handles, makes it necessarily tremendously difficult for any brewer of any size to get a share of distribution.   It doesn't take much of an influence,  a butterfly effect as it were, to eliminate a whole sector of the market regardless of consumer demand.  The three tier system may have run its course. 

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:42:38 AM by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »
I agree with you for the most part, though I’m not buying evil empire beer because it allows them to purchase more At-Ats, and all the same I’m not buying crap beer from little Joe down the road because he’s local but doesn’t really get beer. Quite frankly I’d choose one of the 3 non them IPAs forever if that’s all I had to choose from, though we know I’d just brew my own, but I wouldn’t finance either.

And I don’t fault the little guy who made it and then took the money. I get it. Slaving your life away isn’t always a good thing, especially with a family. Money up front and plenty of it is nice for sure.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Anybody, besides me, wonder where the OP went? Over 2 weeks and 5 pages of discussion and no further word from the OP.!

Three posts over the course a month and then radio silence.  Maybe he decided we were boring, old, guys who didn't want to fight?  Funny thing is, he wouldn't be wrong.  ;)

Paul
He was really an operative inside AB InBev HQ and has accomplished his objective here.  Now have I earned my tin foil hat?   ;)

I saw was from Israel, said OK. Maybe he
 was gathering data? How negative we are?

Tin foil is good.

Just seems odd to start a discussion and then not participate in it. Maybe he's like me, just following the discussion to see what other people think about the topic.
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
Anybody, besides me, wonder where the OP went? Over 2 weeks and 5 pages of discussion and no further word from the OP.!

Three posts over the course a month and then radio silence.  Maybe he decided we were boring, old, guys who didn't want to fight?  Funny thing is, he wouldn't be wrong.  ;)

Paul
He was really an operative inside AB InBev HQ and has accomplished his objective here.  Now have I earned my tin foil hat?   ;)

Tin foil is good.

Just seems odd to start a discussion and then not participate in it. Maybe he's like me, just following the discussion to see what other people think about the topic.
What the heck is that?

I don't know.

Well, poke it with a stick and see what it does.

:o
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Anheuser Busch trying to take over the Homebrewing market?
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
Boycotting a Homebrew store because it is a forgone conclusion that the parent company which is owned by a certain corporation will take over the Homebrewing Market is an appeal to probability and emotion.  I initially fell into the same trap.

If the takeover happens I’ll assesses the situation and apply a practical application at that time (aka pragmatism).  Until then I’ll choose to take sage advice and not live in a world of what might happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:58:01 PM by BrewBama »
Huntsville AL

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
Boycotting a Homebrew store because it is a forgone conclusion that the parent company which is owned by a certain corporation will take over the Homebrewing Market is an appeal to probability and emotion.  I initially fell into the same trap.

If the takeover happens I’ll assesses the situation and apply a practical application at that time (aka pragmatism).  Until then I’ll choose to take sage advice and not live in a world of what might happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me it is about refusing to help fund what I know they’ve been doing on the other side. I have no idea what they’re doing in the homebrew supply business, but I am skeptical. Regardless I don’t want to help them in any way. If it were MolsonCoors or whoever Miller is with now I wouldn’t be concerned.

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »

Paul

Tin foil is good.

What the heck is that?

I don't know.

Well, poke it with a stick and see what it does.

:o

To me it seems more like a philosophy teacher in college starting class with "Hedgehog, neither hedge nor hog, discuss."  And the they just watch the mayhem ensue.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?