Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: belle saison question  (Read 4319 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
belle saison question
« on: September 01, 2017, 03:05:28 pm »
I brewed my first saison yesterday and used belle saison yeast. The OG was 1.054. I pitched the yeast yesterday around 2pm and the airlock was bubbling every two seconds this morning. About how long should I expect it to take?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: belle saison question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:08:17 pm »
I don't have my notes but I think my recent one went from 1.052 to 1.003 in about a week or less.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »
Mine took 3.5 weeks.  The last couple of gravity points take the longest with this yeast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline john.buck.946

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:31 am »
Belle is slow at the end but if you feed it a pound of sugar in a qt of water on about day 4 or 5 it seems to finish much stronger.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 02:48:43 pm »
My last saison with Belle took 7 days to go from 1.057 to 1.002.  I started it at 66*.  Then began raising the temp after 2 days finishing up at 80* for the last 2 days.  Belle looks like it's done at 1.008, but nope, it will keep on chugging all the way down to 1.002 or 3.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:12:46 pm »
After a week it's down to 1.003, 1.004 if you add a point for the temperature being 72.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline steppedonapoptop

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:32:33 am »
Belle is a work horse of a yeast for me.  I typically get down to 4 or less.  I'm doing a split batch of a golden wort (1.050'ish) this Sunday, half with Budvar and half with a pack of Belle. 

When the Saison reaches high krausen I'm adding sugar; pound, pound and a half, haven't decided on the amount yet.  Hoping that batch gets light and nice and dry.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 04:41:44 pm »
Belle is a work horse of a yeast for me.  I typically get down to 4 or less.  I'm doing a split batch of a golden wort (1.050'ish) this Sunday, half with Budvar and half with a pack of Belle. 

When the Saison reaches high krausen I'm adding sugar; pound, pound and a half, haven't decided on the amount yet.  Hoping that batch gets light and nice and dry.

That sounds like a nice side by side comparison.  What's the hop profile?  Helles?  Czech Pils?
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:15:37 am »
After a week it's down to 1.003, 1.004 if you add a point for the temperature being 72.

It was still 1.004 after three weeks when I bottled. I'm liking the taste of it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women