Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 gallon igloo cooler question  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
2 gallon igloo cooler question
« on: September 01, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »
Does anyone out there use one of the smaller igloo coolers for grain steeping, partial mashing, or one gallon size batches? How does it work? What kind of temperature drop can I expect with a 2 gallon cooler over the course of 30-60 minutes?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2 gallon igloo cooler question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:09:14 pm »
I use a 3 gal. cooler sometimes.  Temp drop is about the same as my other coolers. 1-2 F per hour.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »
I have used a small cooler, but had to make a modification to reduce the heat loss. My original top was poorly insulated and was the source of most of my heat loss. I added some disks of foam insulation that fit tightly inside the cooler below the screw-on lid. My only complaint after the modification is how hot the button gets when you have to hold it down for several minutes to drain the cooler. I purchased a stainless steel ball valve to replace the original valve and that problem is now gone.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:13:31 am »
I use a 3 gal. cooler sometimes.  Temp drop is about the same as my other coolers. 1-2 F per hour.

Good to know. I have a big project in the works that will involve brewing a lot more often than my normal rate and am thinking about making smaller batches so I won't end up with a supply that will be too large to drink before a bunch of it goes bad.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:05 am »
I have a two gallon cooler and see a fair amount of heat loss if it sits on the counter. I think the problem is the lack of insulation in the lid. I set the oven to it's lowest setting at 170F and once it hits temperature I put the cooler in the oven and cut the heat. With that process I get very little temperature loss.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing