Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoked Helles Advice  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Gloridaze Brewing Company

• 1st Kit
  • Gloridaze Brewing Company
Smoked Helles Advice
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:52:05 am »
Looking for some advice on a smoked Helles
recipe. I want it to be clear that there is smoked malt in there but be a subtle compliment to the base style. None of the articles that I've found offers a solid starting point. They all punt saying that it depends on how smoky that you want it and how old the malt is without offering a range. My best guess is to replace a pound of  pilsner malt with a pound of Weyermann Rauch malt. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Smoked Helles Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
Looking for some advice on a smoked Helles
recipe. I want it to be clear that there is smoked malt in there but be a subtle compliment to the base style. None of the articles that I've found offers a solid starting point. They all punt saying that it depends on how smoky that you want it and how old the malt is without offering a range. My best guess is to replace a pound of  pilsner malt with a pound of Weyermann Rauch malt. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

That is not a punt, but sound advice. If you can get Weyermann from a fresh bag, use a pound. Then see haw it is to your taste, then go up or down depending on the freshness you can get the Rauchmalt next time.

The smoke in the malt dissipates with time. If it is stored in a bin, and you can smell the smoke  aroma when you open the bin, it has left the malt and won't go into your beer.

Everyone has a different threshold and tolerance for smoke in their beers. I like it a lot, and have made smoked Helles with 2 lbs for a 5 gallon batch, and that was fresh homesmoked malt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:11:01 am »
The word from Ron Smith is that Schlenkerla doesn't use any smoked malt in their Helles. The smoke that their Helles picks up, is from the brewing equipment and their environment. So, it doesn't take much to impart smoke in a delicate style like Helles.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:00:14 pm »
That is good advice, Martin.  For subtle smoke, I'd use 10% or less.  Wyerman is a good choice if you know the freshness, much better than Briess.  It isn't hard to smoke your own either - that way you can chose the type of wood.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:06:02 pm »
The word from Ron Smith is that Schlenkerla doesn't use any smoked malt in their Helles. The smoke that their Helles picks up, is from the brewing equipment and their environment. So, it doesn't take much to impart smoke in a delicate style like Helles.
My guess is they repitch yeast, which would give plenty of smoked flavor.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »
Thanks everyone that gives me a good starting point. If I were to brew a schwartzbier after the Helles, would you recommend upping the percentage a bit?

• 1st Kit
Smoked Helles Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »
The smoke in the malt dissipates with time. If it is stored in a bin, and you can smell the smoke  aroma when you open the bin, it has left the malt and won't go into your beer.

This is a great tip. Normally I buy my malt in sealed bags but I'll keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:36:30 pm by Gloridaze Brewing Company »

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »
It isn't hard to smoke your own either - that way you can chose the type of wood.
I have an electric smoker. Do you have to cold smoke it or can I just use a low temp?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 06:33:59 pm »
It isn't hard to smoke your own either - that way you can chose the type of wood.
I have an electric smoker. Do you have to cold smoke it or can I just use a low temp?

I prefer cold smoke because it doesn't change the malt much, especially helpful with a pale colored beer.  The more heat, the less time is needed and the more color is added.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »

I recently made a Grätzer using home-smoked wheat malt.  I misted the grains with water so that the smoke would stick to the grain.  I repeated that step a couple times.  I also used an electric smoker, and kept the temp under 150.  I was using cherry wood.  I think I smoked the malt for about 2-3 hours, and it really came through in the beer.  Not an overload, but definitely there. 

I've had good luck with the Weyermann Oak-Smoked wheat malt.  You might also try the Briess Cherrywood-Smoked malt. 

Offline Invertalon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 11:02:07 am »
I just tapped a Helles Rauchbier that used 60%+ Weyermann beechwood (Rauch) malt. Came out absolutely delicious!

It's smoky, but not over-the-top by any means. Amazing smoked malt to use!

If you want just a touch of smoke, I think something like 10-15% would be a solid starting point.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 07:37:21 pm »

This is one of the things on my to-do list.  I haven't tried it yet, but I would definitely cold smoke it.  I don't think the malt (enzymes) can withstand the 200+ F degree heat of a hot smoke.

S
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:29:39 am »
I've developed a couple of recipes that use peat-smoked malts, all of which are delicious. The stout that I make uses 12% peat-smoked malt and it's subtle but definitely there. I've had people that don't even like dark beers say they liked it. I'm a big fan of subtle smoke flavors.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 06:38:28 am »
There are so many better smoke sources than peat. Why are you using peat-smoked malt? Is there something I'm missing?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 07:22:59 am »
There are so many better smoke sources than peat. Why are you using peat-smoked malt? Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, that stuff is vile.
Jon H.