Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoked Helles Advice  (Read 6005 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Smoked Helles Advice
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:19 am »
There are so many better smoke sources than peat. Why are you using peat-smoked malt? Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, that stuff is vile.
The strong phenolics get to me. Some may like it.

I was in Bamberg 9/12 to 9/20, and had lots of Spezial and Schlenkerla. Loved it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cdarby1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:07 pm »
 Of the people who have responded that smoke their own malt at home; could you share your process of cold smoking? I have a Bradley electric smoker and I have smoked a pound of 2row with Alder and a pound of 2 row with pecan.  I kept my temperature under 200, but I didn't smoke it for longer than say 90 minutes. Any advice?

Thanks,
Clint

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 06:35:26 pm »
I built a box with screen-bottomed shelves and connected it to my Weber grill with 16 feet of 4-inch duct tubing.  It works pretty well at keeping the smoke within 10F of ambient.  You may not want to go to this extreme, but it has worked really well for me.  The box holds a whole sack of malt if full, but can do well with smaller amounts.  It's a good method for smoking cheese as well.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Gloridaze Brewing Company

• 1st Kit
  • Gloridaze Brewing Company
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 09:13:08 am »
Just wanted to follow up.  I started with 1-lb. of Weyermann smoked malt in a 2.75 gallon batch, ~13.8%.  About 30 minutes into the mash, I tasted it and not even a hint of smoke so I added another pound bringing it to ~24.2%.  The finished beer ended up with just a hint of background smoke, if you searched for it.  Good beer, but next time I'll go with an even higher percentage or move to Briess cherrywood smoked malt which I believe has a stronger flavor.