Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German American Festival Beer List  (Read 3989 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
German American Festival Beer List
« on: August 24, 2017, 02:43:39 pm »
Here is a list of beers being served at the GAF this year in Oregon, OH. Last year, my favorite was the Weihenstephaner Tradition (a Dunkel on draft) which I've tried to replicate. Some are draft and some are bottles, which I wish they would specify. I've tried many of them, but let me know if there is a most try on the list.
1809 Berliner Weisse, Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen, Aecht Schlenkerla Oak Smoke, Augustiner Maximator Doppelbock, Aventinus, Aventinus Eisbock, Bayerischer Leipziger Gose, Black Cloister Hildegard Berliner Weisse, Black Cloister Helles Angel, Einbecker Mai Urbock, Engelszell Gregorius, Freigeist Geisterzug Gose, Freigeist Ottekolong Kölsch, Grodziskie, Monchshof Schwarzbier, Clausthaler Dry-Hopped Amber, Schneider Organic Edel Weiss, Schneider Weiss, Tucher Kristall Weizen, Weihenstephaner Festbier, Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier, Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock, Weihenstephaner Kristallweiss, Weihenstephaner Tradition, WUR Julius Echter Dunkel Hefe, WUR Julius Echter Helles Hefe, Labatt Blue Light, Bitburger, Hofbrau Dunkel, Hofbrau Hefe, Hofbrau Octoberfest, Hofbrau Original, Warsteiner Pils, Warsteiner Dunkel, Warsteiner Octoberfest, Warsteiner Brauweise, Warsteiner Konig Ludwig, Sierra Nevada Octoberfest, Ayinger Alt Dunkel, Ayinger Brauweise, Ayinger Dopplebock, Ayinger Jarhrund, Ayinger Octoberfest, Ayinger Weizenbock, Edringer Dunkel, Erdinger Hefe, Hacker Pschorr Weisse, Hacker Pschorr Munchen, Paulaner Hefe, Paulnar Lager, Paulaner Salvator, Paulaner Ofest, Warsteiner Pils, Warsteiner Dunkel, Warsteiner Grapefruit cans
Dan Chisholm

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: German American Festival Beer List
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:08:45 pm »
that's quite a list.  is it a one day event?  too many good ones to try.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:17:06 pm »
No, it's Friday through Sunday. I'm going on Saturday and there is no possible way to try them all. Just wondering if any stand out to anyone that I must try.
Dan Chisholm

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:24:46 pm »
No, it's Friday through Sunday. I'm going on Saturday and there is no possible way to try them all. Just wondering if any stand out to anyone that I must try.

If I were going I would focus on:

The Augustiner is not the easiest to get and is excellent
I am personally very partial to Weihenstephaner Festbier - its the perfect Festbier IMO
Anything Ayinger
I like Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest a lot, but its so easy to get, just grab a sixer another time.
Hofbrau and Paulaner Ofests
Paulaner Salvator

assuming half liter servings and the likelihood of a repeat or two, and that'd be all I could get to.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 03:32:17 pm »
Thanks blatz! I haven't tried the Hofbrau yet, so I try that one. It's the first year they've had it. I've tried the others and I really don't go for the Dopplebocks anymore so I can try more variety. It's a festival that I look forward to every year-not only great beer, but great German food, music, and dancing. My friend competes in the rock throw every year.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:40:57 pm »
Damn, what a beer list! Unbelievable.

I'd especially be after: Any/all Ayinger and Weihenstephaner (minus Kristallweiss, not a fan of the style), other Munich brewery Ofests, maybe even a smoky Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen. Wish that thing was closer to home for me! 
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:27 pm »
Jon, last year that Weihenstephaner Tradition was sublime. It was near to perfect as a beer can be and the first time it was available in the States.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 05:34:29 pm »
Jon, last year that Weihenstephaner Tradition was sublime. It was near to perfect as a beer can be and the first time it was available in the States.

Sounds fantastic. They kinda know their stuff.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
Damn!

I want to give that rock throw a try too!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 04:18:44 pm »
Damn!

I want to give that rock throw a try too!
The rock is 138 lbs and the winner threw it over 11 feet.

Dan Chisholm

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:24:23 pm »

The rock is 138 lbs and the winner threw it over 11 feet.

wow.  does he compete on the World's Strongest Man or something?  that is impressive.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
He might. Also, the women throw a 75 lb rock and the winner threw it 10 feet.

Dan Chisholm