Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cryo Hops  (Read 4200 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Cryo Hops
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
Can anyone recommend the best method to containing cryo-hops/lupulin powder while dry hopping?  I anticipate dry hopping in a corny keg.  Standard hop sock I imagine is way to permeable.  Id seen pantyhose suggested before.  I imagine an actual mesh bag may also be a little too permeable.  I have one of those stainless steel dry hopping tubes but also a little concerned about how fine this powder may be.  Anyone have any experience with these type hop products?  Is dry hopping not even a good idea with this?  Going to throw some in at flameout/whirlpool for an APA this week. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Cryo Hops
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:47:37 pm »
My understanding is that Cryo Hops are in pellet form, but by weight, contain twice the essential oils and alpha acids as regular pellet hops. Unless I'm misinformed you would treat them the same as pellets only using half as much.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:35:52 pm »
I just bottled 5 gallons of an IPA that I dry hopped with 3 ounces of Cryo hops (Citra, Mosaic, Cascade and Simcoe). I tossed the pellets straight into the fermenter and didn't notice any abnormal amount of trub or residue when bottling. As far as I can tell they act just like any other type of pellets.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:57:23 am »
I was talking to a clerk at my LHBS about these the other day, she suggested a weighted bag for the powder, but otherwise the new CryoHops have been pelletized.  So at that point it's personal preference if you want to bag them or toss them in.  I think most people would recommend using a bag if it's in a keg. 

When I asked what people used them for she said predominately dry hopping, so I would say that is actually a good idea.  I've never used them but I have some free samples from a conference.  I'm thinking about doing the same and tossing some in the last 5 minutes or flameout for a pale ale. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:50:45 am »
We picked up the powder at HBC. It is said that it just floats on top, the pellets act like pellets and sink.

For the dryhopping I used a weighted fine mesh bag. That beer is carbonating now, so no idea of how well it worked. The beer was almost all Loral hops and Loral cryo powder. So it is a new hop for me, making the evaluation difficult.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline EliseM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:45:43 pm »
Hi guys!
I am a scent designer at a custom fragrance company and we are working on a Hops fragrance oil that can be used to make candles, soaps, beard oil, and other scented products.  We're working on some different formulations right now, but I was curious what were the most popular types of Hops used in home brewing?  We'd like to do four different Hops scents, but want them to be familiar to home brewers so you would understand that one has more citrus top notes, while a different one might have more pine or resin notes.  Any feedback about what varietals of Hops to focus on first that would be the most popular?  Thanks in advance for your feedback and help on this project!
-EliseM

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 03:47:18 pm »
Hi guys!
I am a scent designer at a custom fragrance company and we are working on a Hops fragrance oil that can be used to make candles, soaps, beard oil, and other scented products.  We're working on some different formulations right now, but I was curious what were the most popular types of Hops used in home brewing?  We'd like to do four different Hops scents, but want them to be familiar to home brewers so you would understand that one has more citrus top notes, while a different one might have more pine or resin notes.  Any feedback about what varietals of Hops to focus on first that would be the most popular?  Thanks in advance for your feedback and help on this project!
You would probably get a better response if you start your own thread for this, rather than hijack other conversations. I'd recommend starting a new topic on the "General Homebrew Discussion" forum.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer