Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suck back solutions  (Read 7721 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Suck back solutions
« on: September 30, 2017, 03:05:12 pm »
I saw a company market this and decided I can do this and save about $45

Theirs for ~$50:

Mine for ~$5 (granted I had the tubing, jars, air lock, and o-rings on hand)

I think I'll install an 'S' air lock but here ya go after 5 min of drilling and assembly:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:24:55 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Stevie

Re: Suck back solutions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
Cool. Consider switching to grommets. It would allow you to put the soft tubing directly into the lids and would minimize parts.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
I may not understand the contraption, but, why is the extra airlock even needed?  The tubing sits in water in the jar. That's an airlock right there.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:54:59 pm »
I may not understand the contraption, but, why is the extra airlock even needed?  The tubing sits in water in the jar. That's an airlock right there.
It's kind of a triple airlock/blowoff deal so when you cold crash you don't suck oxygen in your fermenter. Looks great, I think even if you bought done silicone tubing and the jars you'd be about $8 in.

Offline BrewBama

Suck back solutions
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 04:05:33 pm »
Cool. Consider switching to grommets. It would allow you to put the soft tubing directly into the lids and would minimize parts.

True. But then I'd have to buy a bigger drill bit than I have on hand.

It's kind of a triple airlock/blowoff deal so when you cold crash you don't suck oxygen in your fermenter. Looks great, I think even if you bought done silicone tubing and the jars you'd be about $8 in.

+1. It saves the CO2 from fermentation and when you cold crash it sucks CO2 back instead of O2 and liquid.

I'm gonna use the $45 to order my next batch's ingredients.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:57:03 am by BrewBama »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:17:17 pm »
Nice work and pretty cool too!

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:04:22 am »
I like the idea, but it seems complicated.  What I started doing on recent batches is just snip the corner off a large gallon size ziplock bag and then put the entire airlock inside the bag.  I zip-tie the snipped corner around the airlock tube just above the fermenter grommet. While I could let the bag fill up with co2 from fermentation, I just purge and fill it from my c02 tank and seal it up prior to cold crashing. I have not seen more then about half the bag volume of C02 gas get pulled into the fermenter going from 70 to 35F.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:16 pm »
I like the idea, but it seems complicated.  What I started doing on recent batches is just snip the corner off a large gallon size ziplock bag and then put the entire airlock inside the bag.  I zip-tie the snipped corner around the airlock tube just above the fermenter grommet. While I could let the bag fill up with co2 from fermentation, I just purge and fill it from my c02 tank and seal it up prior to cold crashing. I have not seen more then about half the bag volume of C02 gas get pulled into the fermenter going from 70 to 35F.
Sorcery! I like it!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:30:38 pm »
I've never been able to successfully (cleanly) drill a hole in a Mason jar lid. What kind of drill bit did you use?

Offline BrewBama

Suck back solutions
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 05:55:06 pm »

Sorcery indeed!  LOL

I've never been able to successfully (cleanly) drill a hole in a Mason jar lid. What kind of drill bit did you use?

I used Dewalt Titanium bits. I did get some tearing but a pair of lineman's pliers cleaned up the holes. The o-rings on each side of the lid -- compressed slightly with nuts -- gave me a good seal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:59:13 pm by BrewBama »