Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner Mail for an IPA?  (Read 6280 times)

Offline Nick

• 1st Kit
Pilsner Mail for an IPA?
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:54 am »
Hey everyone,

new member here, but not really new to homebrewing.  I've been brewing for about 4 years now, now on all grain but have just recently moved onto building my own recipes.

A friend of mine who owns a bakery recently went to his grain supplier (who also supplies grains to some breweries in the PNW) and got about 10 lbs of Pilsner malt, and 10 lbs of white wheat malt.

I'm not a huge Hef fan, but figured I could at least use the Pilsner malt for something.  Can I use pilsner malt for an IPA?  I'm assuming I may need to add some other grains to build the body a bit, but wanted to see if anyone had some feedback on that.

Or if you have a suggestion on what to use both of those grains on, other than a Hef I'm totally open to suggestions.  Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pilsner Mail for an IPA?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:04:22 am »
Sure you can. Done it several times. I normally use Crystal 40 in AIPA, but a little Carahell mixed in is nice as well. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:54:19 pm »
Pils malt with ~20% Vienna or Munch works well.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:30:49 pm »
Contrarian view point: I would go 50/50 Pilsner and Wheat with gravity and hops like an IPA. If you don't like hefe's use an American Ale yeast; WLP001/1056/US-05.

:) I don't like to waste malt.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:29:35 pm »
I've done it, and it will make a decent beer. I use 70:30 Pils to Pale Ale malt in a blend for all my Pale beers now. A little Pale Ale or Vienna malt will bring down the husky/grainy flavors of the Pils and add some toast to round out the malt.

If you want to go the NE IPA route, then you could always use the wheat as 20-30% of the grain bill.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:28:49 am »
   Just for the heck of it I tried my standard SMaSM experimental beer with 100% Castle Pilsen last time, it turned out okay, but not great - would have been a lot better if I hadn't brain farted and added a gallon of water at the end of the boil, thinking I had boiled off more than I had. If I did pilsen in a SMaSH again I'd mash around 156* or so, instead of the normal 149* I do with this recipe.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »
My last IPA I did 60 % pils, 25 % mo, and 15% oat malt. I don't do a lot of ipas but I think that will be my standard malt bill. I was really happy with how it came out.

Offline Nick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:33 pm »
Wow thanks for all the tips/advice.

I've decided to brew up a Mosaic Smash with this grain.  Anyone from Texas is probably aware of Lone Pint Yellow Rose, if not its a delicious IPA which according to their website and bottle also is a smash of Pilsner and Mosaic.  6.8%, around 60 IBU.

Looking forward to brewing this up, first time around I'm going to use a 90 minute boil based on things I've heard regarding pilsner malts. 

I've got a total of 13 lbs of pilsner malt and about 8 oz of Mosaic to play with.  Looking forward to seeing how she turns out!  Starter is rollin away as I speak.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 02:04:09 pm »
You really don't need a 90 min boil even for pilsner malt.
A 60 min boil will be just fine, IME.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 03:09:16 pm »
You really don't need a 90 min boil even for pilsner malt.
A 60 min boil will be just fine, IME.

This. ^^
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:19:31 pm »
I agree. My all pilsner malt pilsner has been done with 60&90 minute boils and I have not had any issues with the 60 minute version. Not going back to 90 except for something really high gravity

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 02:55:25 am »
I agree. My all pilsner malt pilsner has been done with 60&90 minute boils and I have not had any issues with the 60 minute version. Not going back to 90 except for something really high gravity

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Again, same experience.  I've ditched the 90 minute boil. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 02:15:06 pm »
Hey everyone,

new member here, but not really new to homebrewing.  I've been brewing for about 4 years now, now on all grain but have just recently moved onto building my own recipes.

A friend of mine who owns a bakery recently went to his grain supplier (who also supplies grains to some breweries in the PNW) and got about 10 lbs of Pilsner malt, and 10 lbs of white wheat malt.

I'm not a huge Hef fan, but figured I could at least use the Pilsner malt for something.  Can I use pilsner malt for an IPA?  I'm assuming I may need to add some other grains to build the body a bit, but wanted to see if anyone had some feedback on that.

Or if you have a suggestion on what to use both of those grains on, other than a Hef I'm totally open to suggestions.  Thanks!

I've done SMaSH IPAs with Pils malt several times. I tend to go back and forth between American 2 Row and Pils for pretty much any IPA anyway. Current trend is for little, if any, malt character anyway. I have a beer that I did with a commercial brewery that was 80/20 Pils/rice for the grist. Really light, dry, and easy drinking.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 07:59:06 am »
Hey everyone,

I've done SMaSH IPAs with Pils malt several times. I tend to go back and forth between American 2 Row and Pils for pretty much any IPA anyway. Current trend is for little, if any, malt character anyway. I have a beer that I did with a commercial brewery that was 80/20 Pils/rice for the grist. Really light, dry, and easy drinking.

I have used a little rice in some IPAs, and I like the results. Maybe 10% for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:07 am »
Hey everyone,

I have used a little rice in some IPAs, and I like the results. Maybe 10% for me.
Interesting. I've been using corn quite a bit lately, but I wasn't a huge fan of it in the IPA's I've tried it in. I may have to experiment with rice sometime soon.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer