Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sugar addition  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Pilotman

• 1st Kit
Sugar addition
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »
I want to try to brew a barley wine and I found a recipe on this site that looks interesting. It calls for a pound of Muscavado sugar but doesn't say when to add it. The OG is pretty high at 1.12. I've been thinking of adding half of the sugar towards the end of the boil and the other half a couple days into fermentation to help the yeast. Any advice??

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Sugar addition
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
When I've used Muscavado I've used it in the last 10 to 15 minutes of the boil.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:38:39 pm »
Any time during the boil or fermentation is fine.  Slightly different results adding during fermentation but not radically
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pilotman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »
Thanks. I think I'll just add it towards the end of the boil then, less to have to worry about during fermentation.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:05:05 am »
I don't think you need to worry about adding your sugar during fermentation unless you are going after some monster 20% brew. I've had beer in the 1.130-1.140+ range attenuate very well with all my sugar in the boil.

The key with the really big beer is yeast health and vitality. Pitch a bigger starter than you need and aerate/oxygenate well. I like to use slurry that came from a 1.060ish beer for my yeast, since those cells have already developed a bit of alcohol tolerance.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer