Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best hopping  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Edo_Valva

• 1st Kit
Best hopping
« on: September 23, 2017, 03:04:39 am »
Hi guys!
In the lasr days I have concentrated my studies on the hopping and mostly in the Apa/IPA hopping.
My question is: in your opinion, what's the best "hop charges  routine" for an Apa/Ipa?
For example:
60' bittering charge
20' flavor charge
5' (or flameout or whirlpool?) aroma charge
Dry hopping

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Best hopping
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:57:50 am »
Kill the heat at the end of the boil and wait for all boiling activity to stop. Add 2-4 ounces per gallon (15-30 g/L) of your hops, and whirlpool with the kettle covered for at least 60 minutes prior to chilling. You can add an additional 1-2 oz/gallon of dry hops if you wish, but I don't usually bother. No boil additions are necessary. You will get plenty of bitterness from the whirlpool, but it won't be a harsh bitterness.

I've tried dozens of different hop schedules for my IPA's, but this one is the one I keep coming back to. This gives a massive hop flavor, and enough bitterness to balance it without becoming abrasive.

You will probably see a bunch of other suggestions from other brewers, and they will all be good. Try a few out and decide what you like the best. It is worthy (and tasty) research.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Edo_Valva

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:09:56 am »
Thank you! But i don't sure if i understand it well (the fault of my bad English): you introduce the hop in worth only when the boiling is over and nothing during the boil?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:12:24 am »
Thank you! But i don't sure if i understand it well (the fault of my bad English): you introduce the hop in worth only when the boiling is over and nothing during the boil?
That is correct. This allows you to get the most flavor out of your hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Edo_Valva

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:31:00 am »
Really interesting approach to the hopping!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:08:41 am »
Keep in mind the "best" approach to hopping a beer is whatever you like the most.  The classic 60/30/15 minute additions with dry hopping in a secondary is preferred by many.  All hops in whirlpool is sort of the opposite approach.  The way that is "best" for you is based on your trial and tasting.

I know this sounds like I'm dodging your question but there really is no standard of "best".  That is one of the best parts of homebrewing.

Cheers!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Edo_Valva

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 06:35:45 am »
I'm perfectly agree with you! But since i have never brewed an Apa/IPA i'm trying to understand how to do it in the right way

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:36:23 am »
There's not one right way as much as there are many good ways to create different results with different hops.

I think mid-boil additions work well with the older American hop varieties (in addition to whirlpool additions) but the newer fruitier hops don't seem to gain anything over just unloading them post-boil in whirlpool additions.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:48:41 am »
There's not one right way as much as there are many good ways to create different results with different hops.

I think mid-boil additions work well with the older American hop varieties (in addition to whirlpool additions) but the newer fruitier hops don't seem to gain anything over just unloading them post-boil in whirlpool additions.

Agreed. It also depends on the beer I brew. German lagers get all additions in boil, generally a 60, with a 20 and flameout optional with style. APA and AIPA get a 60 addition and a whirlpool addition. Lots of methods out there to get good results.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 09:49:00 am »

Yes, that is one way to do it.  A lot of people like it, a lot of people (like myself) find that it doesn't give you the hop bitterness you expect in an IPA.  I often use the post boil hops in addition to a traditional 60 minute addition in order to give me the bitterness I'm looking for.  There are many approcahes and the best thing to do is experiment with different methods and find what you like best.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Edo_Valva

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:17 am »
Thank you so miche eveybody!!
I think I'll start with 60', 20', 5'/ flameout(or both, i don't know) anche dh