Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Asian pears recipes hints?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Ferment

• 1st Kit
Asian pears recipes hints?
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »
Juiced enough asian pears for 2 batches , 46 litres, of cider.   Sg 1052  about right for cider for me.
Has anyone got experience with asian pears?   Thinking the flavor is a bit thin for a full palate.  Possibly some white wine juice concentrate, tannins, acid?  Thoughts?
New to this forum, experienced brewer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Asian pears recipes hints?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:36:22 pm »
Sounds like the beginnings of something great.  I haven't used Asian pears but I do have experience with cider, which is essentially the same thing.  My standard guidance:

Pasteurize at 150 F for 20 minutes, cool, pitch Cote des Blancs yeast (it's the best), let it ferment for a week or so, rack to secondary, then begin monitoring specific gravity every few days. Aim for 1.010-1.015. When gravity gets to that point, add gelatin to knock out most of the yeast, then a couple days later, rack again, add sorbate and sulfite to hurt the remaining yeast and keep the cider cold for another month or so, trying to prevent it from refermenting. If it starts up again, add more gelatin, sorbate and sulfite if necessary. Once the cider stabilizes fully, you can bottle or keg it. Then enjoy.

Also, low & slow is the way to go, if possible.  I like to ferment at about 55-60 F.  It takes longer but tastes better in the end.  And, patience is a virtue.  It might take a couple months to finish but the wait is well worthwhile.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:58:39 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:30:34 pm »
I think your best bet is to go 100% juice and treat it like your typical cider. Taste the finished product and take it from there. I'm pretty sure you will want some acid in the end, but better to wait it out and add by taste. Another option besides adding acid would be to blend with cider.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:33:07 pm »
Sounds like the beginnings of something great.  I haven't used Asian pears but I do have experience with cider, which is essentially the same thing.  My standard guidance:

Pasteurize at 150 F for 20 minutes, cool, pitch Cote des Blancs yeast (it's the best), let it ferment for a week or so, rack to secondary, then begin monitoring specific gravity every few days. Aim for 1.010-1.015. When gravity gets to that point, add gelatin to knock out most of the yeast, then a couple days later, rack again, add sorbate and sulfite to hurt the remaining yeast and keep the cider cold for another month or so, trying to prevent it from refermenting. If it starts up again, add more gelatin, sorbate and sulfite if necessary. Once the cider stabilizes fully, you can bottle or keg it. Then enjoy.

Also, low & slow is the way to go, if possible.  I like to ferment at about 55-60 F.  It takes longer but tastes better in the end.  And, patience is a virtue.  It might take a couple months to finish but the wait is well worthwhile.

Pasteurize?  Really?  I've never done that or found it necessary. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
Pasteurize?  Really?  I've never done that or found it necessary.

Yes.  Yes really.  I do and I do.  Guarantees yumminess.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Ferment

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:32:18 pm »
Thanks   i did it the way i do apple cider . Sulphite, yeast    stand back!    I may add some oak, hops, and/or acid  after a few weeks depending on taste test to one of the carboys.  Then let it bulk age for a while.  Looks ok so far.  Has a funny nose right now, sort of a funkyness but is fermenting well.
I'll post back at secong racking.