Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Conditioning Carb issues  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Jalencvt

• 1st Kit
Bottle Conditioning Carb issues
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:17:59 pm »
First time interacting on the forums, have used it for knowledge for a while now. 

It's my fourth brew, All Grain DIPA.

I bottled a Month and four days ago, and beer is still not carbonated. Added 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 2 cups of water then added to bottling bucket before bottling.

I have only done lower ABV IPA's previously but they're always carbed in 3 weeks star san,   

My fear is that I ruined my batch because of a no no. I have always used a steam dishwasher to sanitize and star san for the lids, siphons, bucket, etc. A friend convinced me that rubbing alcohol would be sufficient a sanitizer. 

I still used the steam for hoses auto siphon and bottles, but could this use of rubbing alc on caps and bucket killed my carb chances?

I've thought of adding more corn sugar or a yeast nutrient. There is still yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottles, and they're in an area that is 70ish degrees.  ideas thoughts welcome

P.S.   I used a different yeast this brew and it took 11 days, typical brews have taken me 5-6. Could this just be a slow lazy yeast?

Thanks!

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
Re: Bottle Conditioning Carb issues
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 04:38:21 pm »
Very unlikely to be rubbing alcohol, but you shouldn't use that anyway as it contains bittering agents to make it taste foul.

Maybe the sugar wasn't fully dissolved or evenly stirred in? That would cause inconsistent carbonation. Some bottles might be flat and others fizzy.

If they're all flat, you might acquire a taste for that style - very British. If you don't think you will, you can recarbonate with dry sugar and a funnel, then recap. But wait a couple of weeks first to be sure it won't improve.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:41:11 pm by charles1968 »

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:00:47 am »
It sounds like the yeast is not slow and lazy.. it sounds like the yeast is dead.  A longer than normal ferment and now no reaction to added sugar.  How fresh was the yeast? Was it old? Or a strain that's notorious for stalling out like Belgian saison? How long was your beer in the fermenter before you bottled? Did it sit a while?

If you have sediment, try rousing one of the bottles and see what it does.  Slowly turn it upside down and gently swirl it and then let it sit for a couple more days. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Jalencvt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 07:16:51 pm »
Im definitely not using the rubbing alc. again, and I'm almost positive that I stirred the sugar and even the bottling bucket every 12 bottles dispensed to ensure even carbonation.   

The yeast strain was the WLP 090,  The san diego super yeast. paid 8 bucks for it, which compared to a normal yeast packet (at my local shop) is almost 700 % higher.   

I shook the bottles today as sediment is remaining. Im gonna wait another two weeks, then if nothing happens try the uncapping and adding idea.

Thanks!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bottle Conditioning Carb issues
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 11:05:16 pm »
What yeast are you getting for <$2? I used to see Nottingham at $1.50 until they decided to upgrade their process due to contaminations. These days I only see wine yeast as low as your talking.

I wouldn't blame wlp090, it's a solid yeast.

Offline Jalencvt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
Stevie, I'm not sure on the yeast strain, I could be mistaken but I bought a Cider House yeast last fall for 2 bucks.

Anyway,  I shook the bottles, it's been about 16 days since the shaking and still nothing, can I assume that my yeast have died?  It has been about 7 weeks since bottling so I know something is wrong.

Should I try a yeast nutrient? If the yeast are not dead, should I add some priming sugar to each bottle and wait another few weeks? 

Thanks so much

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:31:04 pm »
Well, at this point I'd assume that the yeast is dead.
To salvage the batch you can open each bottle and add a very small amount of dry yeast, S-05 for example, to each bottle.
Since you already added sugar when you bottled, it isn't necessary to add more. But adding a small quantity, a gram or so, of table sugar probably won't hurt, it'll just increase the eventual carbonation level.
It's going to be a tedious exercise.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Jalencvt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:38 am »
Well, at this point I'd assume that the yeast is dead.
To salvage the batch you can open each bottle and add a very small amount of dry yeast, S-05 for example, to each bottle.
Since you already added sugar when you bottled, it isn't necessary to add more. But adding a small quantity, a gram or so, of table sugar probably won't hurt, it'll just increase the eventual carbonation level.
It's going to be a tedious exercise.

This is what I assumed. Thanks for the validation and the recommendation.  I will try this and report back.