Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aldi's Third Street Brewhouse IPA "Hop Lift"  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Aldi's Third Street Brewhouse IPA "Hop Lift"
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:09:46 pm »
Well, it was $7.99 for a 4 pack of tall boys. Surprisingly, it seem to be for real brewery located in Minnesota. Clocks in at 16 oz. of 6.2% beer, and seems to be in the West Coast IPA category.

Aroma-Vaguely hoppy, fairly low hop aroma
Appearance-Clear, golden
Flavor-Clean and bitter, without a ton of hop flavor. Fits more in line with older IPA's, has more of a vague, muddled pine/grapefruit/whatever flavor.
Mouthfeel-Pleasant, doesn't taste too sweet or astringent.

Overall-If you can only stop at Aldi (Where it's stored warm), then probably pass and grab a bottle of Winking Owl wine for $2.89. It's too expensive and too inconvenient to have it be worthwhile.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Re: Aldi's Third Street Brewhouse IPA "Hop Lift"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:53:32 pm »
1100 views and no replies?  SAD!! 

Aldi's IPA is likely brewed regionally by different brewers.  A consistent recipe is unlikely.  Same goes for Trader Joes and Costco.  Firestone brews for at least one of them.  I've had some bargain priced private label craft beers at these stores.  They are decent beers for a bargain price.  The hoppy beers are much less impressive.  The malty beers are pretty good.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:21 pm »
Brewed by Cold Springs Brewing in Minnesota.

http://www.thirdstreetbrewhouse.com/the-beers/year-round-beers/

That brewery makes a few labels for other breweries too.

Firestone Walker did brew for a Trader Joe’s, but they phased that out as their own brands grew. 2014ish.
http://beta.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-golden-road-brews-new-house-brand-beer-for-trader-joes-20140602-story.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:29:54 am »
Aldi sells beer?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 06:20:46 pm »
Aldi sells beer?
Always did in Germany. Then in the US I got Wernsegrüner Pils there. They always had wine too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:44 am »
Aldi sells beer?
Always did in Germany. Then in the US I got Wernsegrüner Pils there. They always had wine too.
I have walked around the two Aldi stores in Huntsville twice looking for beer. I haven’t found it. I didn’t look for warm beer though.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:33:20 am »
Aldi sells beer?
I have walked around the two Aldi stores in Huntsville twice looking for beer. I haven’t found it. I didn’t look for warm beer though.

The beer and wine are near the front of the store around here, warm.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 03:12:23 pm »
Brewed by Cold Springs Brewing in Minnesota.

http://www.thirdstreetbrewhouse.com/the-beers/year-round-beers/

That brewery makes a few labels for other breweries too.

Firestone Walker did brew for a Trader Joe’s, but they phased that out as their own brands grew. 2014ish.
http://beta.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-golden-road-brews-new-house-brand-beer-for-trader-joes-20140602-story.html

So Cold Spring rebranded as 3rd st and contract brews for discount retailers?  Good move.  I had the displeasure of trying three Cold Spring Beers and was impressed with how completely awful they were.

Offline licketybrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 03:20:16 pm »
In opposition to some above posts,

Yes infact most Aldi, Costoco, Trader Joes beers are regional contracts.

Here in Wisconsin most contracts are brewed by Point Brewry in Stevens Point, or (yuck) by Minhas in Monroe WI. Occasionally decent contract joints get these gigs, I think in this case you got a dud.

I often find Stevens point contract to be palatable when the style is neutral (Amber, helles, Extra pale)

But in at least one case I know that Trader Joe's does good deals with boutique contractors. Tintinn and other campanology beers are actually decent and priced low to compete with Minhas (mission st) beers.

ALways check the location of the brewery on these no-name brands, and know your local contractors. It is worth your time!

Love,
Josh

Like Fun!
Likefuncast.com

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 05:35:58 pm »
I've been to the Third Street Brewery, and I have to say that I was not super-impressed.  They mainly seem to be focused on creating catchy packaging images.  The beer is often not fantastic.  I don't agree with their environmental ethic either.  Their "Lost Trout Brown Ale" mocks the fact that they were in trouble with the EPA for discharging warm water into a protected trout stream.  They claim that the trout were long gone before they began adding heat pollution to the water. 

They also make a black IPA called "Bitter Neighbor" which pokes fun at a local resident who had complaints with the brewery. 

That's not to mention their "Three-Way IPA" which pushes the envelope for decency with thinly-veiled references to menage-a-trois.  Overall, I'm not impressed with their beer or their public presentation.  It is a real brewery, though. 

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
Oh, and their "Sugar Shack" is a maple stout with maple syrup made by the monks at St. John's University, which is embroiled in an ongoing lawsuit regarding clergy abuse of minors.  Great PR, eh?  Yes, I just said "eh". 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 05:00:12 am »
Oh, and their "Sugar Shack" is a maple stout with maple syrup made by the monks at St. John's University, which is embroiled in an ongoing lawsuit regarding clergy abuse of minors.  Great PR, eh?  Yes, I just said "eh".

I didn't know the Johnies made beer.  They always made absolutely wonderful breads!

I hadn't heard about the lawsuit either.  My brother graduated from St. John's and he's never mentioned it.   :-X

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 08:47:51 am »
I've been to the Third Street Brewery, and I have to say that I was not super-impressed.  They mainly seem to be focused on creating catchy packaging images.  The beer is often not fantastic.  I don't agree with their environmental ethic either.  Their "Lost Trout Brown Ale" mocks the fact that they were in trouble with the EPA for discharging warm water into a protected trout stream.  They claim that the trout were long gone before they began adding heat pollution to the water. 

They also make a black IPA called "Bitter Neighbor" which pokes fun at a local resident who had complaints with the brewery. 

That's not to mention their "Three-Way IPA" which pushes the envelope for decency with thinly-veiled references to menage-a-trois.  Overall, I'm not impressed with their beer or their public presentation.  It is a real brewery, though.

Ugh, if the beer wasn't "meh" enough. Sounds like the kind of people that complain of government regulation getting in the way of Industry.

I haven't tried any of the heineken/carlsberg/eurolager knockoffs, but every time I've bought it I've been annoyed I have to keep storing it in my fridge. I don't quite understand the market choices-it's too expensive for what it is, it's not cold so it's not a convenience option, it's not inoffensive enough for a casual drinker...