Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new hydra chiller  (Read 3222 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
My new hydra chiller
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:35:43 pm »
 Just used my new hydra chiller for the first time and wow.   It is a sunny Southern California day aside from the eclipse, and the ground water temperature here is about 75° by the beach. I was able to get my wort temperature from boiling to about 80° In about five minutes.  And then threw 10 pounds of ice into a bucket with my pre-chiller and got it down to 65° very quickly. Unbelievable.   Very very happy with this purchase.  Cuts down on brew day time as well as ice.  If I lived somewhere where the ground water temperature was lower, the Hydra would be all that I would need.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: My new hydra chiller
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:56:33 pm »
I bought mine last winter. It's an amazing piece of equipment and worth every penny.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:56:33 pm »
Nice.   Wish they'd make a SS version...
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:02:27 pm »
Funny, I just dropped them an email tonight asking about just that.  I'll let you know what they say. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:55:45 pm »
Cool JT I want to know as well, even though I already have the Hydra and a King Cobra. SS is the next move

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:21:10 pm »
Cool JT I want to know as well, even though I already have the Hydra and a King Cobra. SS is the next move

I just bought a half inch, fifty foot SS chiller from N.Y. Brew Supply about a month ago.  It chills to a reasonable temp in about 15 minutes before I switch to recirc in ice water for another 5 and snugly fits in my boil kettle between the boilcoils (10 gallon kettle).  It's not a bad chiller, though I'm not sure I'm getting much from the 1/2" vs. 3/8" other than a higher water bill. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:15:12 am »
My "home rolled" copper chiller started leaking last year after 15, or so, years of faithful service (we had a nice memorial where many helped us show our respect).   ::) 

I replaced it with a 3/8" stainless steel chiller for the increased durability.  I will admit I miss my old copper coil.  It was quite a bit more efficient at dropping the temps than my new one.

So... IMHO, keep in mind that SS will slow you down a bit.  Like every other decision we make, there are trade offs.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Andrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:01 am »
What's the advantage of using SS versus copper for a coil?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 02:03:44 pm »
What's the advantage of using SS versus copper for a coil?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reduced copper ions in the wort = reduced staling load downstream

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 07:40:41 pm »
I got a hydra earlier this year--  I do BIAB, so I use a 15 gal kettle.  The result is my 50" ss chiller has about 5 coils above my brew.   The custom hydra they made is completely submerged and my chill time (60 degree ground water) takes me to 65 degrees in approx 6-7 minutes versus well over twenty. 

I have been reading about the possible impact of copper and other low oxygen options--  but I haven't made any changes-- I am happy with my final products--  brewtan b someday?   

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:42 pm »
I got a hydra earlier this year--  I do BIAB, so I use a 15 gal kettle.  The result is my 50" ss chiller has about 5 coils above my brew.   The custom hydra they made is completely submerged and my chill time (60 degree ground water) takes me to 65 degrees in approx 6-7 minutes versus well over twenty. 

I have been reading about the possible impact of copper and other low oxygen options--  but I haven't made any changes-- I am happy with my final products--  brewtan b someday?
Does SS chiller have the clamp at the top like the one in the picture?  If so, loosen it, smash the coils down and hold while you retighten. 

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:23 pm »
In my case, doing biab, a five gal batch in a 15 gal kettle is only about 6.5 inches deep.  A 50' coil is much taller-- even when the coils are all stacked closely. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:51 pm »

Bummer!

Hey Joe, 

Thanks for your interest in our products! There are no plans for a stainless chiller. You're right, copper is more than just faster and more efficient, but that is a not a necessary conversation if you are dead set on stainless. Please let us know if you have any more questions.  

Cheers!

JaDeD Brewing LLC

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 08:37:14 pm »
I just ordered one.  I'd looked at the possibility before but had missed that they custom build them.My two keggles can only handle a 10" wide chiller.  Cool!  I wanted a faster chiller, but also wanted a second chiller so days I brew 20 gallons, using two mashtuns, and two keggles/burners, I won't have to chill one batch, and then the other.  This way I can run a splitter below my outdoor faucet and chill either/both batches when it's time to do so, using two IC's.

BTW, when SS chillers first came routinely available I bought a 25-footer and used it maybe twice.  Super slow compared to copper as stated above, and IMHO not worth it, although I don't brew LODO.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:39:43 pm by brewsumore »

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 12:30:52 am »
My custom 25" tall, 10" at widest point hydra chiller arrived today apparently in perfect condition and it's gorgeous, and will fit in the top hole of my two keggles.  And I like the extra height that will distribute cooling better for my typical 12 - 12.5 gallons of hot wort.  I immediately soaked it in a bucket of hot PBW solution for most of the day, gave it a lite sponge rub, rinsed well and set it in it's rightful place among the basement brewing gear, lovingly stored in a Home Depot bucket.

Can't wait to try it. 

Thanks JT.  Excellent.