Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle souring with 1st gen controller grainfather  (Read 3169 times)

Offline 4min33

• 1st Kit
Kettle souring with 1st gen controller grainfather
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:25:11 pm »
My first two attempts (berliner-weisse and lime gose) weren't sour enough (ph 4) after up to two days, after which I got nervous and added some acid.  I'm using goodbelly mango plantarum.  I think I figured out what the problem was--heat variation in the kettle causing hot spots and overshooting.  I came up with a simple solution--plug the pump in series with the mash heater.  That way whenever the heater goes on the pump goes on.  Need to carefully wrap cling wrap so that the pump entry doesn't create oxygen ingress. 

All you need is a two + tap power strip, and an IEC AC power cable (many common electronics devices use these).  Plug the power strip into the mash heater output of the controller, plug the IEC cable and heater into the power strip, and plug the pump into the AC receptacle of the IEC cable.  Make sure the controller is on mash and there you go.  Seems to work well to completely avoid hot spots.  This probably won't work with the second gen proportional controller.

Offline couchsending

• 1st Kit
Re: Kettle souring with 1st gen controller grainfather
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:57:38 am »
Did you acidify before adding lacto?  What temp were you souring at?  Last time I used Good Belly I got 3.5ph in less than 16 hours with my Grainfather I believe.  Soured with lactic to 4.5 then half a carton of mango GB.  I’d have to look but the lacto in Good Belly sours fastest in the 90-100 temp range.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:13:05 am by couchsending »