Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY2000 Budvar question  (Read 3112 times)

Offline steppedonapoptop

• Cellarman
WY2000 Budvar question
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:46:34 am »
Hi Gang,

I have a 2L starter of Budvar on the stir plate since Tuesday and it's not showing too much activity krausen/color wise.  In the first few hours, the wort smelled like sweet wort.  As of today, the wort smells different.  Not really bad but almost like beef broth (soup).  Again, no real krausen or color change. Not sure if it's good.  Out of all my starters, this one just smells weird.  I guess I should taste it.  Any of you used this yeast?  Thoughts?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: WY2000 Budvar question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:18:26 am »
It's been 12 years since I last used Budvar yeast but what I produced with it was good.  Certainly nothing wrong with the strain itself.

As for your starter issues: Yeah, with a well sanitized spoon, grab a small taste and see if it's already done.  If it's done then I'd roll with it (lager yeast at high room temps never produce a quality tasting starter beer).  If it's still sweet wort then chances are that the yeast had/has poor vitality and viability. In the latter case, you may be able to build back up to a pitchable amount but you'd likely want a couple steps and utmost sanitary conditions throughout the process.

Offline steppedonapoptop

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:44:46 am »
All sound information, I'll give it a taste later today.  I revved up the stir plate too, maybe I'll see more activity too.  Fortunately if it's tits up, I have a mason jar full of 34/70 slurry.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:52:36 am »
Beef broth or sulfur? If sulfur I wouldn't be worried. Yeast produce sulfur. If beef broth there is definitely something off.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 09:21:30 am »
There should be no need to have your stir plate above a low speed.  If you see the starter liquid moving then it should be plenty fast.  You're just looking to keep the yeast in suspension; speed doesn't help them perform better, and may in fact be detrimental to the cells.

Offline steppedonapoptop

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:33:33 am »
I use a Maelstrom and typically set it to 4 for a 2L starter.  I began at 3 then bumped to 4.  No biggy.