Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: K-RIMS build. Two questions.  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
K-RIMS build. Two questions.
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:58:49 pm »
Can I avoid the limited gravity issue with a 2 vessel KRIMS setup I build myself (i.e. Blichmann BrewEasy) with 2 10 gallon vessels instead of an 8 and a 10, which Blichmann uses (for a 5 gallon batch).  Also, they use a rubber gasket system to control flow from the MT to the BK (gravity).  Could I not get the same level of control with a butterfly or other type of valve?  Not sure why they seem to use a cumbersome method to control flow with their valve wide open.  Hope this makes sense.  Thank you.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: K-RIMS build. Two questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:33:18 pm »
I believe those inserts are for sparging, but you can always control flow with a ball valve.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:40 am »
I believe those inserts are for sparging, but you can always control flow with a ball valve.

Thank you.  I didn't want to mess around with gaskets and orifices if I could avoid it. 

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »

Thank you.  I didn't want to mess around with gaskets and orifices if I could avoid it.
I ended up looking on their website. The orifice are for diffrent gpm of circulation during the mash. Not sure why gpm matters for cirulation, maybe efficiency.

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:08 pm »
I imagine the orifices allow for easy repeatability versus feathering a ball or linear valve.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:10:56 pm »
The rate of circulation matters when an electric element is being used to make sure it remains covered.  Too fast of a flow rate could drain the vessel in which the element is located, inadvertently causing a dry fire failure of the element.  This can happen in any recirculation setting, including a BIAB, if the suspended bag is draining more slowly than the recirculation from below is pumping back into it...

I just adjust the valve to a slightly cracked open position and have no problems.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"