Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to kegging  (Read 2064 times)

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
New to kegging
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:50:08 pm »
I recently purchased the KingKeg MK4 kegorator from my local homebrew shop and i am planning on kegging my next brew. i have never used a draft system before and wanted to know any tips or trick you guys and gals use. I am using the kingkeg gas regulator and a 5gal (19L) ball lock torpedo keg. Cheers.
The godly tongue distills honey, mankind's tether of amber and gold.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: New to kegging
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:01:54 pm »
There's a whole lot of tips and tricks out there.

What angle are you looking for?  Filling?  Carbonating?  Dispensing?  Cleaning?

I'd start with researching how to purge your keg and do a closed transfer to fill it.  That way, you minimize O2 ingress. 

Beyond that, it's all pretty straightforward but there are also a million questions to ask.  Once it's up and running, you'll start to figure out what you need to ask and what you don't.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »
Thanks. Ill start looking, I know there is a lot to know just wanted a good starting point.

Offline BrewBama

New to kegging
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:57:38 pm »
The best info I've seen in one place on how to set a regulator, number of kegs a CO2 cylinder will dispense, temp and psi info, etc, etc: http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net/static/doc/71/66/acef50e52d6bf4b196b71a0bf233.pdf

This is the AHA guide: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1312/Summerzym95-Kegging_How-To.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:25:38 pm by BrewBama »

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:39:19 pm »

I'd start with researching how to purge your keg and do a closed transfer to fill it.  That way, you minimize O2 ingress. 

Not to hijack the thread, but do you have a link on instructions on how to do a closed transfer?
Na zdrowie!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:45:15 pm »

Not to hijack the thread, but do you have a link on instructions on how to do a closed transfer?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29237.msg385118#msg385118

Try this thread.

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:07 pm »
Thanks Joe!  Much appreciated!!!
Na zdrowie!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 07:54:11 pm »
I hope it's helpful.  I didn't reread the thread but I remember it.

If not, there must be others.

Basically fill your keg with sanitizer. Push it out with co2. Fill the keg through the liquid out post from your fermenter. I put a QD on the gas post when I fill. Some people just burp the PRV.

I use a couple lbs pressure to start the siphon and then gravity does its trick. I use better bottles. Pressurizing glass comes with all kinds of caveats.

Offline NickPurr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 06:57:07 pm »
I looked on YouTube and there's a lot of videos. so i will be watching a lot of them to get a good idea. and thanks for the links
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:58:46 pm by NickPurr »

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:39 am »
Closed transfer is great for reducing oxygen pickup but it wont do you much good if your serving all foam.

In order to get a good pour you have to balance your system with proper line length. The vol co2 the beer can hold is directly related to the temp its stored at.

https://www.drinktanks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CARBONATION_CHART_DRINKTANKS.png

Once you find the PSI you need to keep your beer carbed at your kegerator's temp you figure out line length to balance that pressure.

I've found this the standard formula for line length you'll find gives results that are too short. This calculator is pretty good. I cut a few feet off by trial and error and have found a length that works perfectly for my system

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Also for you first batch I'd definitely use the "set and forget method" for carbing. You set the regulator to the PSI from the cart and leave it until its carbed. There are other methods that gets things done quicker but have risks of over carbonating.