Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning fermenter?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Cleaning fermenter?
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:19:18 pm »
 I just bought a CIP spray ball for my conical fermenter and have been doing to research on how people typically clean the fermenters. I have always just cleaned it very well with PBW by hand, then rinsed it with water, let it air dry and then put it to bed.  Then of course prior to putting cooled wort in during the next brew, sanitize it (starsan) immediately prior to filling.   To my knowledge I've never had an infection.
 Reading how a lot of people use their CIP spray ball, seems like after washing with PBW, they sanitize it prior to storing it. Then sanitize it again during Brewing. Am I missing something here? Seems like the sanitizing step directly after cleaning is a waste of time?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cleaning fermenter?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 02:22:13 pm »
I just bought a CIP spray ball for my conical fermenter and have been doing to research on how people typically clean the fermenters. I have always just cleaned it very well with PBW by hand, then rinsed it with water, let it air dry and then put it to bed.  Then of course prior to putting cooled wort in during the next brew, sanitize it (starsan) immediately prior to filling.   To my knowledge I've never had an infection.
 Reading how a lot of people use their CIP spray ball, seems like after washing with PBW, they sanitize it prior to storing it. Then sanitize it again during Brewing. Am I missing something here? Seems like the sanitizing step directly after cleaning is a waste of time?

Yeah, seems pointless to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 02:23:18 pm »
Acid based sanitizers can help to eliminate film/haze from calcium participates. My water is crazy hard and filled with calcium. I splash some Starsan in my freshly cleaned fermenters before storing.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:18:04 am »
What is the material of your conical? Long term contact with an acid based sanitizer is not always good for some materials.