Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st Lager  (Read 1761 times)

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
1st Lager
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:42:58 am »
Hello,

Want to make my first lager, now that I have a ferm chamber - but don't want to do it the new 'fast lager method' (going to be gone for two weeks). I don't really trust a lot of the articles on the internet, so I was hoping someone could explain the traditional method. Thinking leave at 50 degrees for 2 weeks, rise to 65 degrees to kick diacetyl, then gradually lower to 38 and cold crash?

Thanks..

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: 1st Lager
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:46:05 pm »
That sounds about right, Bryan might join in with his schedule. His beers look fantastic. He ferments a little cooler, with a large pitch of yeast and I believe just keeps it cold all the way through. Have not tasted his beers but they look great. He has the details pertinent to his fermentation process and has shared before on here

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:36:05 pm »
I just finished making a lager with WY2124.  Normally I do the fast schedule and find it works as well as slow, but this time I was going to be out of the country for a while so I just let it ride at 50 for about 2 1/2 weeks.  Due to the length of fermentation, no diacetyl rest was needed  Then I crashed it to 33 (crashed, not gradual) and will leave it there for maybe 3 days before kegging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:38:53 pm »
I just finished making a lager with WY2124.  Normally I do the fast schedule and find it works as well as slow, but this time I was going to be out of the country for a while so I just let it ride at 50 for about 2 1/2 weeks.  Due to the length of fermentation, no diacetyl rest was needed  Then I crashed it to 33 (crashed, not gradual) and will leave it there for maybe 3 days before kegging.

Awesome, so it's as simple as chilling down to 50, pitching, waiting, and crashing? Thanks man!

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
That sounds about right, Bryan might join in with his schedule. His beers look fantastic. He ferments a little cooler, with a large pitch of yeast and I believe just keeps it cold all the way through. Have not tasted his beers but they look great. He has the details pertinent to his fermentation process and has shared before on here

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I pitch at 45, with the equivalent of roughly 5 packs of yeast, and ferment there until I cap the fermenter (spund) to carbonate. For me that takes 5 days to spund and 2 more for final gravity all at 45f.  But I am kind of a yeast whisperer ( I mash to get the highest amount of FAN, and my sauergut is loaded with zinc and other trace minerals). With normal pitch rates 45f or whatever under 50 will take a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:00 am »

Did this, and my lager came out great, thanks for the help.