Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Ber Gun v2 Question  (Read 3322 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Blichmann Ber Gun v2 Question
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:47:16 am »
Morning,

I recently purchased the Blichmann Beer Gun v2 and I am running into some issues with my bottles not staying carbonated.

Here is a link to the gun I purchased http://www.northernbrewer.com/beergun-version-2-with-accessories

So I have been going over tutorials on using the gun and one thing I noticed was many of the videos and the instructions use a dual regulator. I don't have one of those so I have been using a CO2 tank and the manifold from my portable kegerator. I set the PSI to about 6 and then purged the bottle with CO2 for several seconds, filled the bottle with beer, purged the top of the bottle with more CO2, and capped the bottle. After a night in the fridge I opened the bottle and the beer was flat.

So I am trying to figure out what I did wrong. Can you use the gun without a dual regulator? Was my PSI way off? Did I miss a step in the filling process?

Thanks for any help/tips.
-Donde

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Blichmann Ber Gun v2 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:08:41 am »
Here is the procedure I use ( I don't have a dual regulator but I do have a manifold that splits the CO2 going to the keg and a separate connection that I use to connect to the BeerGun):
Get the bottles cold,
Turn off the gas to the keg,
Bleed head pressure from keg,
Set pressure regulator to 2-3 lbs (just high enough to push beer from keg to bottle),
Purge bottle with CO2,
Fill bottle,
Cap on foam.
Using this process, I've opened bottles a year after filling and the carbonation was still good.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:11:06 pm »
Here is the procedure I use ( I don't have a dual regulator but I do have a manifold that splits the CO2 going to the keg and a separate connection that I use to connect to the BeerGun):
Get the bottles cold,
Turn off the gas to the keg,
Bleed head pressure from keg,
Set pressure regulator to 2-3 lbs (just high enough to push beer from keg to bottle),
Purge bottle with CO2,
Fill bottle,
Cap on foam.
Using this process, I've opened bottles a year after filling and the carbonation was still good.

Thanks for the tips I will give that a shot.

One question, when you say"Bleed head pressure from keg" do you mean use the release valve on the keg until no more gas comes out? Just making sure I am understanding you correctly.
-Donde

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:57 pm »
Yes, I bleed the head pressure in the keg by pulling the pressure relief valve until the CO2 is gone. 
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:13:29 pm »
My process is almost exactly like mainebrewer's. If you have the beer properly carbonated, going into the bottle, I would have a look at your caps or possibly your capper....maybe even your bottles. It sounds to me you're not getting a good seal.