Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fishy Hops?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Fishy Hops?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 12:07:36 pm »
What kind of fertilizer did he use? Fish based?
I did an experiment over the summer trying to impart some different flavors to some hops that grow in my back yard. I used a bunch of black cherry juice in place of some of the water when I irrigated some sterlings and some key lime juice and some grapefruit juice on some goldings.
I get a hint of cherry aroma in the sterlings and some strong grapefruit aroma in the goldings.

Interesting. That's pretty crazy. Just from one round of watering?

Confirmation bias?

It might be wishful thinking, but my wife and daughter confirmed a strong grapefruit note in the goldings.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:19 pm »
Perhaps, but consider the affect of using juice on soil pH and also the sugar.  A little could actually be a benefit but I cannot imagine the plant surviving being fed juice only.  But it's like all good ideas, equal parts of genius and insanity.   ;D

Definitely not just juice.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 07:11:41 pm »
I used a bunch of black cherry juice in place of some of the water when I irrigated some sterlings and some key lime juice and some grapefruit juice on some goldings.
I get a hint of cherry aroma in the sterlings and some strong grapefruit aroma in the goldings.

Oh no.. I used horse crap on my hops.
:o    ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:16:57 pm by Bilsch »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 11:20:22 am »
I used a bunch of black cherry juice in place of some of the water when I irrigated some sterlings and some key lime juice and some grapefruit juice on some goldings.

Oh no.. I used horse crap on my hops.
:o    ;)

If it was Budweiser Clydesdale horse crap you'll be fine.  ;)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women