Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converting to natural gas  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Converting to natural gas
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:11 pm »
Help. I'm an idiot.

Pulled down a gas heater and will use the line to brew. From what I understand I should just need an orrifice for my burner and an extension hose from gas at the wall to the burner. Can anyone provide what they specifically did to convert?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Converting to natural gas
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:19:09 am »
Goschman, your post is kinda vague.  Are you saying you bought a burner for propane but want to use it for natural gas?  If so you need to provide a description of the burner to get the right advice.  I have drilled out an orifice to convert.

Not sure how many BTUs your burner has and how close to the pipe your burner is.  As a general matter, your hose should be no less than 1/2" ID for longer runs.  Your burner may have a narrower connection for which you can use a hose of 18" or less.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:40 am »
Let me add this further thought, propane out of the tank is maybe a 0.5 psi.  Natural gas out of a pipe is maybe 0.25 psi.  Therefore, converting a propane burner to natural gas will typically result in a much less powerful burner.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 05:09:48 pm »
Let me add this further thought, propane out of the tank is maybe a 0.5 psi.  Natural gas out of a pipe is maybe 0.25 psi.  Therefore, converting a propane burner to natural gas will typically result in a much less powerful burner.

Got ya. I thought the point of the orrifice was the equalize the pressure. The burner came with one for natural gas but of course I can't find it. The connection at the wall it like six feet of or the ground which is why I need an extension hose. The short hose that I need to replace is pretty big. Like 3/4" ID.

At the end of the day I will give it a shot since the gas line is sitting there. If propane is better I can easily go back.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:33 pm »
I would talk to a local gas supply company and bring photos so they know exactly what you need.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »
Thanks. After looking at an old brulosophy post looks like I am all set. Just need a conversion valve and a hose to the connection at the wall.