Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High Gravity Won't Carb  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• 1st Kit
High Gravity Won't Carb
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:57:31 am »
I brewed a modified Raison d'Etre beer back in June.  OG was 1.080, FG was 1.017.  This was my first attempt at a higher gravity beer.  The yeast I used was WLP510 using two starters.

It was bottled on July 9th with 4.5oz of corn sugar for roughly 4.5 gallons of beer.  So far, I've opened 5 bottles and all of them are pretty much carb free.  I get a tiny little head on pour and there is some pressure on opening, but no active bubbles after pouring.

I'm thinking about opening all I have left and pouring it in a bottle bucket with some more sugar and rebottling.  But maybe my yeast is dead?  I have some wine yeast, or some US04 and US05 just laying around.  But, will that result in a case and a half of broken bottles?  Or will the act of pouring it all out oxidate it beyond measure?

Any advice?

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
Re: High Gravity Won't Carb
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:20:57 am »
I had a BDSA that didn't carb for me at first. I took each bottle and turned it upside down and then back real quick to sort of rouse the yeast. I did that 3 or 4 times over 2 or 3 weeks and they eventually carbed up.

Offline Calinthalus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:38:03 am »
About a week ago, I went through and turned all the bottles upside down and left them there for a day, then gave them a gentle shake and put them right side up.  I put one in the fridge two days ago and was going to open tonight.  If that worked, I'll have asked a useless question I guess.  If it didn't, I'm not sure what to do.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:59 am »
Sounds like a good reason to consider kegging, at least for the big ones.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Calinthalus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:37 am »
Honestly, as big a house as I have, I just don't have the space for kegging at the moment.  At least not for serving.  I don't even have great temp control for my fermentation (I have one of those cooler bags).