Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Candi syrup in primary  (Read 3326 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Candi syrup in primary
« on: September 23, 2017, 04:21:33 pm »
I am toying with the idea of adding a couple pounds of dark candi syrup towards the tail end of my primary fermentation mainly to gain more gravity points from it in a smaller batch size (5 gallons in fermenter vs a finished 6.5 in boil kettle).

Anyone know if there is any harm in warming up the packs to decrease the viscosity of the syrup, sanitizing them and simply just dumping them into a fairly active fermentation? The syrups never seem to thick to me and I am guessing they will probably fully dissolve in an active yeast enviroment.

Just curious if anyone has any insight on this....Thanks!

Offline BrewBama

Candi syrup in primary
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:23:27 pm »
They recommend adding at flameout:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/use_and_storage_of_candi_syrups_rev_1.4.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:26:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline brewinhard

Re: Candi syrup in primary
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 05:38:31 pm »
Thanks,

I have seen that as well as the last 10 minutes or so, of which I have done both. Their product fresh out of the package is "sterile" but I guess my major concern was just wondering if it will fully dissolve without a quick boil before adding it to the fermenter...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »
FWIW I usually add mine with a minute or two left in the boil, Rob. As long as it gets distributed evenly, I doubt it matters.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:51:46 am »
Thanks,

I have seen that as well as the last 10 minutes or so, of which I have done both. Their product fresh out of the package is "sterile" but I guess my major concern was just wondering if it will fully dissolve without a quick boil before adding it to the fermenter...

You'll need to stir it to get it to dissolve.  That will almost certainly get you at least a bit of O2 pickup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:31 am »
I'd say the earlier you add it during fermentation the better. The more active the yeast is, the less of an issue O2 uptake would be. I'd pull off a liter of beer, stir the syrup in that until it is fully dissolved, then gently stir it back into fermentation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer